Trailer questions for a 272

Oct 25, 2018
O'Day 272 Massachusetts
Hi everyone. I just bought a used trailer and I'm now planning to purchase and pick up a 272 (and then I'm going to be terrorizing this forum with questions!). Note that boat is a diesel since weight of the diesel may effect answer to question below. The trailer looks exactly like the one in this posting: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...nt-of-trailer-jackstands-for-oday-272.179769/

I also see a similar trailer here: http://sailingtexas.com/201401/soday272110.html

My trailer looks identical, right down to the fenders and everything. I'm going to be having a marina travel lift place the boat on the trailer and have two questions:

First, where should I put the keel so I have appropriate weight on the tongue? I'm not going to have the luxury of weighing boat and trailer, putting a scale under the tongue in order to adjust to 10%, etc. I'll need to take my best shot at it and then maybe fine tune (i.e., move the bow post forward/backward) next time it goes on/off the trailer. Thinking I should err on the side of too far forward if anything. I know it depends on tongue length and other things, but for those of you that have a 272 on this exact style trailer, or another similar size dual axle trailer, can you tell me where you have the keel? Person in the sailingtexas post appears to have it centered over forward axle.

Second, my plan for putting the boat on the trailer is. (1) Arrive at yard and fully lower all the bunk supports, including the forward keel support. (2) Have travel lift lower boat onto trailer so that keel fully rests on trailer but still remains level and upright and hold the boat there. (3) Raise each of the bunk supports so that each is tight to hull and tighten in place. Maybe use a 2x4 lever or even a floor jack to push each support up tight. I'd appreciate comments on this strategy, but my real question is: How do I deal with the travel lift straps? i.e., straps are holding boat, but I want to tighten bunks to hull and don't want to "trap" the straps. Do I need to have jackstands to hold the boat upright and get the straps out of the way?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Although I have not looked at the pictures, I can tell you or suggest you don't position the boat on the trailer such that the wings of the keel are carrying any weight....it is highly suggested that the boat be positioned on the trailer such that the weight of the boat is resting on the vertical portion of the keel; and of course the various bunks/jack stands of the trailer...again, do not support the boat on the keel wings.....supporting the weight of the boat on the vertical portion of the keel is highly recommended. Congratulations on your purchase..We've had 272 LE since 1986 and we still treasure our time sailing and enjoying friends at our club......Patrick in paradise....there may be areas where the jackstands supporting the hull position will
compress the hull very slightly.....

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Having trailered similar boats, PA is correct, The boat rests on the bottom of the Keel not the wings. you should have or will need to place 2x6 or 2x8s in the center channel of the trailer high enough to ensure the metal of the center channel doesn't impact the keel. I can't speak to exact location but about 2- 4 inches forward of the front axle should be about right.

One thing to note, while the boat looks big on the trailer most of the weight is low and centered on the keel. The actual center of gravity is probably somewhere mid keel (the engine adds some weight but since all of the downward force is thru the keel).

Raising the bunks to the boat is relatively easy, and they shouldn't be forced into the hull. The bunks really provide stability to the boat, the real weight is resting on the keel (as noted above). If you try to push the bunks too hard into the hull you can end up with oil canning which is unsightly but generally not too much of a problem on a fiberglass boat.

Make sure you tie the boat down to the trailer with straps, if you have a bow eye use it otherwise strap it down at the bow and over the cockpit.

Safe travels,

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Victor, in an ideal world where you locate the bunks will play a big part if "oil canning" occurs as noted by Victor in the previous post....normally, this does not cause any damage, but it looks rather scary...in the ideal/perfect world you can locate the stringers supporting the hull i.e, on the inside of the boat by looking at the line drawings in your manual....if your bunk misses an internal stringer/ beam, you might have minor oil canning that looks scary.....if you (or me) or Victor could look at the line drawings and locate the stringers in relation to the vertical trailer bunks you could position your bunks where the interior is supported by the stringers..but boy, that is difficult to do...as you position your bunks higher on the hull the "oil canning" becomes less of a problem for obvious reasons, but it does look scary....don't hesitate to ask any questions....you will love your boat....Patrick in Wichita....316-685-4440

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
Hello,

I purchased my 272 5 years ago with the trailer pictured below. I had a friend tow if from Maine to CT. I was a little nervous as it the largest trailer I have moved. I have since moved it on my own with my F-150 many times and it handles amazingly well. It does have 4 wheel electric brakes and I would not move it without them.

I figure it is close to 9000lbs. but I have not had it weighed.

The first year I launched it at the ramp. Since then I have had the travel lift take it off and put it on the trailer. It wasn't a big deal to ramp launch, but the club I belong to now is very reasonable and it doesn't make sense to get it all wet and salty for the small amount they charge.

We pickup the entire rear of the trailer a small amount with the lift straps under the far back of the trailer. Then we put a poppit under the back of the boat centered. We lower the trailer so the back of the boat is resting on the poppit. Then we drop the rear jacks and this gives us enough room to slide the straps under the rear of the boat. You could also just use the screw jack on the poppit to lift the boat off the bunks... but we are lazy.

The yellow strap you see is one of 4 or 5 I use to strap it to the trailer. Probably overkill, but I feel better with more than less.

It came with bracing to keep the mast on top and I have moved it that way, but I prefer to leave the mast at the club for the winter as it saves me an hour of rigging and tying. It also saves me from whacking my head 100 times.

Mark the trailer where the keel goes once you find a happy spot. Centered above the front axle seems to be the happy spot.

Check your bearings and replace/regrease as necessary. You always see boat trailers on the side of the road with a wheel off. It is almost always from a bad bearing.

It is a fun boat. Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.