Trailer modified for sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
I bought a power boat trailer and modified it for my Oday 26. This trailer was VERY easy to modifiy and required very little welding ( done up town by a weld shop). Most work was done using garage tools. Because I found a Trail-Rite trailer, the side guides when reversed made perfect hull bunks.
pictures attached.. I fyou are interesed e-mailme at kdssail@hotmail.com

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
KDDSAIL—

I would highly recommend editing your post to not include your e-mail address in machine readable form...unless you like spam.

kdssail {at} hotmail {dot} com would be a better way to post it. :)

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Powerboat trailer converted to sailboat trailer

I bought a 20 year old Pacific power boat trailer off ebay for $900, and modified it to accomodate my 26S. I completely rebuilt it using only stainless steel or galvanized parts, upgraded from drum to SS disc brakes, and LED lights. My boat requires vee bunks, so I changed it from the typical bunks that run lengthwise for a power boat. Total cost was at least half over what new would have been.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2007
hunter 18.5 sandhills of west texas
Re: Powerboat trailer converted to sailboat trailer

this is a very useful thread for us in the desert southwest, as it's the land of the bass boats and mongo ski boats. as these old 70's and 80's bass boats start to rot out (my brother has half a dozen he's just trashed in the landfill on our ranch the last few years, keeping and re-using the trailers), there looks like some decent 2nd (or 3rd) lives for some of these trailers. they were also built for heavier boats, albeit shorter ones (which still works), so most have some good axles, wheels/tires and brakes. keep the photos coming, very interesting projects. if i recall, the paint on most of them were better than the boats had left (sun faded metal flake), as they were well-built out of quality steel and had good, solid paint jobs on them. good bunks, lights and winches too.
jack b :)

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I bought a power boat trailer and modified it for my Oday 26. This trailer was VERY easy to modifiy and required very little welding ( done up town by a weld shop). Most work was done using garage tools. Because I found a Trail-Rite trailer, the side guides when reversed made perfect hull bunks.
pictures attached.. I fyou are interesed e-mailme at kdssail@hotmail.com
Actually, my boat trailer was built for a powerboat. It's a Long Mfg Trailer and I bought it new for my O'Day 222. It came with short extension brackets for the bunks and a thick keel board. What I did was omit the short extension brackets, and installed the 24" brackets that the dealer had in stock. I told them that I didn't want the keel board. I then went out and bought two 2"X10" Pressure treated planks and sandwiched them for the keel board. I attached these planks to the trailer's cross members with three power company lightning arrester brackets. The brackets are galvanized and are used for lightning arrestors, URD/overhead terminations(pot-heads), and high voltage fuses(Cut-Outs). The power companies don't always use these brackets,unless they plan on attaching these devices to utility pole cross arms. So, in most cases they throw the brackets in the dumpster. If you need some, I'm sure the utility stock man will give them to you for the asking. Actually, all you need is the back plate with the two carriage bolts and the nuts w/washers. I used these straps under the cross members and drilled a hole through the sandwiched planks, on each side of each cross member. I then drill a larger hole into the planks just deep enough to countersink the carriage bolt heads so my keel never comes in contact with them. Then I mounted these straps to hold the planks in place. The reason that I used these brackets was to avoid drilling any holes in my cross members. If you're going to make a sailboat trailer out of an old powerboat trailer, you need to take a peek at the cross members from underneath. When the frame on my old Load-Rite trailer bit the dust, I had no idea that the bottom of the cross members were also rotted out with holes, until I took the old trailer apart. Good Luck!
Joe

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.