Trailer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Does anyone have experience trailering both a Catalina 22 and Hunter 23?

I am wondering if I can safely carry a Catalina 22 swing keel on my single axle factory type Hunter 23 trailer without any permanent modifications. Hull shape and weight are about the same. Now, I'm NOT talking about carrying both at the same time!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For what distance, at what speeds and in what kind of terrain? If it is a short distance you may not have to modify the trailer but for a long distance at high speed you would likely need to. My first concern would be the size and location of the keel rest. Once you load the boat on the trailer you lower the keel so that the weight rests on the trailer and not in the hull and bunks. This rest which will be in the center of the trailer may or may not be in the correct position for the Catalina. Perhaps a 2" X 4" properly positioned may do. If the bunks are not the correct height the boat may lean to one side or the other. The center of gravity of the boats may not be the same so you could have some tongue weight issues which could be addressed with an adjustable hitch. The best way to find out is to load the Catalina on and see how it does. We trailer a 22' Starwind which loaded with the outboard motor and boat stuff weighs around 2,800# in a single axle trailer. The boat is balanced on the trailer and the tongue weight is carfully adjusted to prevent sway. We have 14" tires for trailering and a spare. We trailer long distances and those tires get hot. We inflate them to its maximum as they will run a little cooler. We usually stop around every 100 miles and feel the tires and the hubs. If the hubs are to hot to the touch we will allow them to cool before continuing. These boats are heavy and a single axle trailer will barely do its job for long distances. We repack grease in the hubs after every trip and also carry with us a spare set of bearings. Usually a tow of this weight would require that the trailer have brakes but most single axle trailers don't. We tow with a full size SUV which has adequate brakes. The sides of the hull may flex or cup if unevenly supported in the bunks. Once again it should be ok for short distances but not recommended for long ones. If the bow stop does not align to the catalina just run a strap to tie it down. Hope this helps.

taichi

Feb 21, 2010
Hunter Hunter 23 Oshkosh Wisconsin
Fly - you should be fine hauling the cat 22 on the H23 trailer. if your H23 factory trailer is like mine the bunk height is easily adjustable. You want the keel resting on the trailer frame. One thing though - make sure that once the boat is loaded to drop the swing keel down on the trailer - you don't want it bouncing and stressing out the centerboard pendant.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
I agree with Taichi. I have hauled both boats on their factory provided single axle trailers. There should be no problem with your plan as the weight of the C22 is not an issue.
My experence has been that 15 inch tires are better than the 14's for the single axle. My thoughts about the bearing heat and problems Benny spoke of: A properly lubbed/packed wheel bearing that is properly tightened should never require stopping to allow cooling. If this is a problem then it is time to look for a trailer with a larger axle/spindle/bearing assembly or remove weight out of the boat. I also never leave the motor on the transom when towing the boat. With the leverage provided by the length of the motor mount you are just asking to rip that engine and mount off the boat.
Ray

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
A properly lubed/packed wheel bearing that is properly tightened should never require stopping to allow cooling. If this is a problem then it is time to look for a trailer with a larger axle/spindle/bearing assembly or remove weight out of the boat. I also never leave the motor on the transom when towing the boat.
Seconding the above. If your bearings get too hot to touch at any time, there's a problem. Warm is OK.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
This probably too late but the keel on a C22 is about 650 lbs with the rest of the boat on the bunk boards where as the Hunter 23 wieght is on the keel with the bunk boards for support only. FYI.

If you want to get a new trailer for a c22 swing keel, I suggest the Road King trailer specifically for the C22 sport. the boat willl sit low and is easy to launch. I should know all so well.

Crazy Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.