Trailer for oday 25

Jul 29, 2021
oday 25 Eagle Mountain Lake
i‘m looking for a trailer to use for my oday 25. Just wondering if something like this is possible to use? Yes, I know it’ll need to be modified, I.e. keel support and bunks, etc. I have the tools and ability to do that work, just wanted thoughts on good bones or not to start with. It‘s a 25’ wesco if that matters.

1627730382117.jpeg

thanks,
ray

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
That appears to be a fairly substantial trailer. Depending on the depth of the keel you will have to make some modifications to the bunk height to get over the trailer axles. You may also need to move the axles forward to balance the boat on the trailer and provide keel support. The weight of the boat might require a change in the springs. All of this is relatively easy to do.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Swing keelbor fixed keel.

You will need to install a keel tray particularly to carry the weight of the boat if fixed keel. Suggest adjustable four bunk board supports each side. You do need a winch stand with bow chock to support the bow of the boat. If launching a lot, an extension will be needed.

Brakes on that trailer and if so, surge or electric brakes? If no brakes, suggest you put them on as the center of gravity is higher

Jul 29, 2021
My boat is the centerboard. Definitely will check on brakes and the modifications. It sounds like it’s doable. boat is at marina now, just want something to put it on in this winter to close up the through hulls and clean the bottom. Probably trailer it to Florida in the future. the joys of a 40 year old boat that the company is out of business

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
From what I see the tandem trailer will work with modifications. Obviously check the tire thread thickness and pressure, wheel bearings, lug nut condition and torque, brakes, lights, hitch, safety chain and if it has a manufacturer's name plate and serial number check its load rating.

Jul 29, 2021
Thanks guys. Most of the things I already thought about. I'll be looking at it next weeked. I'd rather find a trailer already set up for an Oday.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What is the trailer rated for? The O'Day 25 on Sailboat data says it weighs about 4000 pounds. I agree with @DougM - you will probably have to move those axles further forward. Will the frame be easy to work with doing that? Can't see from that photo. Looks like you'd take that rear axle and move it to become the front axle. Here's a photo of an O'Day 25 with trailer.

dj

1627903664557.png

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Be patient, you'll find a more appropriate trailer. If you do modify a trailer I'd recommend doing final adjustments at a marina with the boat dangling a few inches above the trailer. Also, add up the cost of all the parts you'll need to purchase. A tongue extension is a must