Trailer for Oday 25’

May 26, 2020
O’Day 25’ Elmwood
Looking at an older single axel trailer for my 1983 Oday 25’.
Guy wants $800 and it’s a single axel trailer. He bought it for the 25’ boat that was already on it.
It’s a 5200 lb axel with 6 lugs.
Should this be okay with only towing my boat 3-4 times a year within a 30 mile radius?
Or should I be looking for a dual axel?
Thanks in advance for any info.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Better off with a tandem axle but it would probably work if the brakes are OK.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
After seeing cheap sailboat owners drop boats with undersized trailers that failed I would pass and find something else that is right size.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JRT Good response. I was a dealer and learned alot from one of the best sailboat trailer designers. May I suggest several things. A long extra extension for the trailer, dual axles ( check load range on tires to include boat, trailer, motor and gear with at least a 10% safety margin), hydraulic brakes. Make sure you have a minimum of 10% of weight on the tongue when hitching to the tow vehicle. I use to help a friend of mine take out his ODay 25 from the water via trailer.

May 26, 2020
O’Day 25’ Elmwood
All good useful information and thank you.
I’m just having one hell of a time trying to find any sort of trailer even all over the Great Lakes.
The owner said he towed that 25’ 4500lb boat over a hundred miles and seemed to do just fine. With a heavy duty tire set.
I don’t intend to do any launching with this trailer. Only easy storage, pulling it into our shop to tinker with and hauling it 20 miles to the marina and back within the year.
Definitely about maxed out with the weight capacity but I’ve been looking for a long time now.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Of course you could always add another tandem axle to it for when that smoking deal on a 28 footer shows up without a trailer a half state away.