trailer for oday 25 swing keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Oday 25 Sodus Bay, NY
Mainly for storage, but would like to be able to make short (30-50 mile) hauls to the finger lakes. Not a welder, tried it once in high school and damned near burnt the school down...tractor tire caught a spark... But know a few welders who said they would be willing to help with the project. Currently the boat is setting on the original wood cradle on an iron hulk which is the back end of a flat bed truck. The cradle is starting to scare me and the guy who hauls the boat to and from the crane (.5 miles). Was given an old single axle Soling trailer last year, but not sure it is heavy enough to do the job. I have 4 jack stands that could be used, but not sure trailer is up to the job. Got any idea what a Soling weighs?

Really not up to spending the bucks for a new trailer. Just doesn't seem to be worth it for what I want to do with it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Uncle Bill near Sodus Light:

I do not think that any single axle trailer would be safe. What are we talking about, 5,000 lbs? Yes, they did make single axles that would hold that amount, but not on a give away trailer. Second question would frame be strong enough?

I recommend not going with the small trailer. Occassionally trailers are for sale that could be modified for your use. Less occassionally, trailers that would work with out modification. If dollars are an issue, wait till you see a used one that would work and you can afford.

I bought a trailer sight unseen 600 miles away and met the seller half way. But a usuable trailer will cost. My trailer was originally made for a 27 foot boat with deeper keel. But it works fine.

If you are going to use a crane to lift it out and put it in, weld jacks to a flat bed trailer of sufficient strength to hold 3 tons.

Or weld or bolt an existing metal craddle to a flatbed frame.

However, if you are taking the boat to different locations a float off/on trailer might be worth the $$$. They give you options.

Ed K

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
If you are going to build a trailer, build it to float the boat off and not just to be lifted. It is not going to be cheap any way you look at it. I would start checking dailly on craigslist in all the cities within 300 - 500 miles from you. Look for a powerboat trailer that you can easily convert. If you cut corners on the trailer, it could be the end of your boat.

Sep 3, 2007
2 25 Narragansett Bay RI
Bill,

I was fortunate enough to get my 25 with a trailer. It is a beast, triple axle and I dump the boat in the water 3 miles away. With that said, I can't imagine a single axle trailer handling your boat. Remember, also, that you have to haul that trailer around.

I have an F150 with the 300 6 cylinder. so I pay a kid with a large V-8 diesel $75 to trailer it for me to the marina when I splash it and and $75 when I have it hauled out. It's less than an hours work for him, but saves me from having to have another vehicle. With that said, it's probably just as cheap for me to take my boat off the trailer and have a boat hauler launch and retrieve the boat for me (believe it or not, it's about the same price, the travel list costs and mast handling runs $500, about what the hauler charges).

Here's a picture of my trailer. Note the boat is in a cradle. The trailer is over built, to say the least!

Chuck
Everlong
O'day 25
Warren RI

Attachments

Last edited:

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
I have what I would consider a minimal trailor for a 25' sailboat. Even with a tandem axle, it realy is not as solid as I would want it to be. I have a towing system on my truck that attaches to the trailer in three places and was a anti sway bar. I towed it once without the towing bars and sway bars attached. It was not a comfortable drive. It is a Float On brand power boat trailer that has been converted using for beefy boat stands and bunks run between them.

Excuse the boat, I had just finished working on the bottom. I spent today putting on the first coat of primer...woooo hooooo, I have only been sanding for four months!

Attachments

Sep 3, 2007
2 25 Narragansett Bay RI
I have what I would consider a minimal trailor for a 25' sailboat. Even with a tandem axle, it realy is not as solid as I would want it to be.
Dave,

Jeez, I lusted after a smaller tailer, but it does look pretty big on that thing! I hate towing a trailer, no matter how it's sized. The 25 is really at the high-end of trailerable boats, not easy but doable. Sometimes I long for a 222 since they seem to be a little easier to handle. Of course, when you love your boat, you put up with inconveniences.

Chuck
Everlong
O'day 25
Warren RI

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
My wife had the final vote and when she got into the cabin of an O'Day 25, she did not want any other sailboat at that length. They may not be the fastest, but they sure are comfortable!

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
There's a trailer for an O'Day 25 on Craig's List in Eastern North Carolina right now. It's located in Oriental, NC. The price is $995.00. It looks like a good trailer that just needs a little TLC. I wish that I could get to Oriental now, I'd buy it.

Attachments

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
That is a find!! My wife's eyes got huge when I showed her (happy huge, not what sailboat expense did you find now huge). I have too much money tied up in my refit right now or I would drive up from Georgia this weekend.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
There is a regional painting company with a facility located in Pelzer, South Carolina that specializes in sandblasting trailers, constuction equipment, old cars, etc. then coating them with special anti rust coatings.

They would make that trailer better than new because of the high tech coating that they apply after the sandblasting.

Ed K

G

gmcb

There's a trailer for an O'Day 25 on Craig's List in Eastern North Carolina right now. It's located in Oriental, NC. The price is $995.00. It looks like a good trailer that just needs a little TLC. I wish that I could get to Oriental now, I'd buy it.
I looked at this trailer. The cross members were so rusted that they were missing 50% of the steel. The entire bottom of the cross members were not there.
The side rails were also rusted badly. I met with a marine fabricator in the area and the estimate was $1500 of new steel to get it usable. Plus tires, plus brake work, lights etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.