Trailer for Hunter 260 (Water Ballast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tip

Jun 11, 2004
- - Corpus Christi
I plan to buy a Hunter 260 with no trailer. Where do I get a trailer for this boat. The dealer is is not much help. Anyone got one for sale near the Corpus Christi area or Houston? Would I be better off asking the factory which is in Florida I think? Anyone know how much a new trailer cost? One guy told me he could order one from the factory in Florida for 3,500 bucks but little expensive I thought. I sure would appreciate some ideas. Trailerless Tip

M

Mark

Cost of trailer

We recently had one built for a 260 down under. The cost from memory about $7500aus so the Hunter factory price seems quite reasonable.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
H260 Trailer

How much you plan on using the trailer should be the most important consideration. The H260 boat/trailer are designed as a package and work very well together. I've had a number of trailerable boats over the years and have been through the "buy the boat first and worry about the trailer later" routine. I can’t imagine a trailer/boat package that works together better. The boat floats easily off the trailer with just a tap on the brakes. The boat nestles nicely into the curved bunks. The ladder is a unique feature and very useful when rigging the boat. The tongue extension is invaluable for retrieving the boat. The dual axles handle the weight well. The only minus is that the boat does not align itself well on the trailer; but many of us have modified the bottom bunk to fix that problem. Now I can drive the boat on the trailer like a skiboat. Most sailboat trailers I've seen are designed so that almost all the weight of the boat rests on the keel/bottom bunk. The H260 trailer carries all of its weight on the side bunks. I can move the keel on my boat so I guess the bottom bunk is used only to keep the swing keel from dragging on the road. I’d look the standard trailer over carefully noting all of its features before deciding on a non-standard trailer. I have quite a few pics of the H260 trailer if you need them. Get my e-mail from the owners directory. It is hard to belive that you can't get a trailer directly from a dealer. I bet crazy Dave can help here. I'd give hunter a call also.

J

Jonathan Costello

Try Champion Trailers

Tip, Champion Trailers in Slidell, LA (outside New Orleans) manufacturers trailers and they may have the pattern for the hull of a 260. They manufactuer them right there. The price for a new one from Hunter doesn't sound bad (relatively speaking) but give Champion a call and you might save some money. Also, call the Hunter dealer in Kemah, TX (south of Houston on Clear Lake) they may be more help than your local dealer. Go to the Hunter Marine website or call Hunter to get the Name and number of the Hunter dealer. Good Luck, Jonathan Costello Heeling Powers (1994 23.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.