Trailer Extension Problem

Oct 1, 2011
catalina 22 Sugar Loaf marina
Bigchief, can you have someone weld some angled flanges on the bracket? they will act as a sort of funnel and guide the pipe into the bracket.

May 22, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lake Calhoun
Yes, I guess I could have a 45 degree guide welded on to the U channel to ramp the extension up into place. Or cut a small 45 degree chamfer onto the bottom of the extension. Just wondering if other Hunter trailer owners have had the same issue and what has worked best.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I would put a post under the extension that would lift it 1/2" at the bracket and then fall away from the ball end as the extension was slid back. I might also use a similar higher post to bend the extension up so that it is cantilevered into position.

May 23, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter Berkeley
Pull it all the way out & determine what & where it's bent. I had one that missed the bracket (C-22) by 6 inches. I straightened it with judicious application of heat & cold water. If you have no experience with that & assuming it is not aluminum, take it to welding or machine shops till you find someone who can use heat or a big press with some skill to fix it. I think you'll like it better than the ramp ideas & all that friction.

Aluminum's melting point is too close to the temp needed to bend it by heat & shrink.

You could also remove the channel & lower it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Before making a bunch of modifications try loosening your winch cable/strap before sliding your extension back in. On our trailer if tight it introduces a bow to the tube making retraction difficult and occasionally impossible. Lossening the winch often allows retraction by hand.

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
Chief, I have the 1993 trailer and my extension won't come out. I wonder if it is a design flaw?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Guys, let me discuss this.

First, the extendable tongue is galvanized steel. What is occuring is the entended tongue is bent which is why it is not going into the receiver most of the time. This happened to me as a dealer who was involved with this boat heavily. There was a rare occasion that the channel the extended tongue was not welded on correctly originally at the time of manufacturer or the reciever was not put on correctly. First is to determine what is going on first.

The suggestion to loosen the winch strap is the first to do. Then investigate from there. However, many extendable tongues do not have those recievers and some chose to elimiante them altogether. Doing so, it would rattle a little in the channel tube. You may have to reweld that reciever and there is spray can paints that can protect the steel if applied on after welding. Before doing that, I would insure the bar can slide thru all the way thru that channel tube and if not, then you have a bent extended tongue.

Big Chief, feel free to contact me and if you do not know me, then ask here.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Why worry about it. If you look at the photos attached you'll see the end of the extension on our Trail-Rite trailer has no support. No rattles, no problems. I think about 5 minutes or less with a hacksaw would be time well spent.

Don

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
Crazy Dave has it right loosen the wench first. If that doesn't work, I would unbolt the surge brake coupler and flip over the tube and see if that solves the problem. If it slides ok, then drill new holes for the coupler and you are good to go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
To all;

Please understand I was heavily involved with this boat from the start of inception and that includes this trailer. trailer was built by Hunter at the time and I knew the folks in the welding shop too. I speak from experience and knowledge and in this case, specifically on the trailer for the 23.5