Trailer Capacity Estimates?

Aug 12, 2023
O Day, Clarke Boat Spindrift Daysailer 17, San Juan 21 Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Boat trailers the springs max capacity needs to be above the weight of the boat, trailer frame, motor and misc. carried in the boat but not much over. Spring capacity slightly above total weight carried will prevents the boat from being pounded to death by stiff springs. I do not know the recommended percentage over the weight carried?
Does anyone know what that percentage should be?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I do not know the recommended percentage over the weight carried?
Does anyone know what that percentage should be?
I'm talking through my hat here because I don't actually know. But I do have some experience certifying cars to U.S. automotive safety standards. I would guess that the answer is zero. I.e., so long as the total load carried by the axle is equal to or less than the rated load the standard is met.

If you were actually certifying the whole rig, then you'd have to account for the measurement error of the axle load. But we probably don't need to get that carried away unless the sum of the component masses is within a few pounds of the rated load.

Aug 12, 2023
O Day, Clarke Boat Spindrift Daysailer 17, San Juan 21 Cape Cod, Outer Banks
That is a good answer on the springs. There is probably already a safety factor calculated in the spring rating.
The other thing I look for in a trailer is it wide enough between the trailer fenders to get the boat lower for easier launching.
This also allows for taller tires and larger bearing better for highway speed.
Larger tires are less likely to be damaged at the boat ramp.
Wider trailers are easier to follow in the mirrors.

Jun 21, 2023
West Wight Potter 14 Santa Cruz, CA
That is a great call on the trailer width. I've been using the trailer I got for a few weeks now with my Potter and while it works great so far (including on a 300+ mile round trip to a lake) I am above the fenders and can certainly see how "high" the boat seems. It hasn't been an issue for launching and retrieval thus far however. I certainly wouldn't mind an extra few inches on either side for sight though!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I certainly wouldn't mind an extra few inches on either side for sight though!
I often tow a 8' wide cargo trailer. I was new to towing when I got it. I found side mirror extensions to be of great help and comfort. After about a year or so, I felt comfortable towing without them