Trailer Capacity Estimates?

Jun 21, 2023
West Wight Potter 14 Santa Cruz, CA
Hello all!

I am in the process of refurbishing my 1968 West Wight Potter 14 which has been in hibernation since the birth of my 5 year old. I'm nearing completion but am still looking to replace my trailer. My current trailer works well, but it's painted steel and just isn't going to hold up to repeated dunks in the Monterey Bay. I have been scrounging the internet for a decent used single axle galvanized trailer, but I'm finding that many in my price range have little or no information about them in regards to carrying capacities (or a make/model for that matter.)

As such, I'm curious if there's a way to estimate a rough capacity for a trailer based on the sum of it's parts? For example, I was recently looking at a galvanized trailer made from 2"x1" fully boxed rails and 16" tires. I would THINK it is capable of carrying my 550lb boat, but not sure how it would handle additional weight from gear.

Alternatively, does anyone have any good recommendations of a specific trailer to look for? Or guidelines of what to look for in a trailer (length, width, bunk configuration, etc.) I recently found an EZ Loader EZB 12-14, but it's the 1000lb version which is a bit narrower than my current trailer (by 4" between the fenders) so I'm not sure it will work.

Just for fun, here are my two boats I'm currently working on. My 1968 West Wight Potter 14 and my 1966(?) Mirror Dinghy.

IMG_6407.jpgIMG_6536.jpgIMG_6535.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Which one is the dinghy for your dinghy?

One indicator is the axle capacity. You can usually figure out it's capacity by measuring the inner and outer axle diameters. This requires removing the hub. With that information you can lookup the bearings and capacity. You can also check markings on the bearings and look up the part numbers

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
You can get a very good idea of the trailers capacity by measuring the height and depth or the diameter of the axle and counting the leaves in the springs. Compare that to listings of springs or axles for sale.

You are looking for I imagine a trailer with a gross capacity of around #2,000 most any trailer that is large enough to hold that boat will be capable of carrying it.

The springs and axle are fairly easy to replace if you find a suitable trailer frame that has axles and springs either too light or too worn.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The used trailer market is a bit strange. A decent used trailer for sale will likely cost you north of $900 and will likely be closer to $1200 ...and still require $ome upgrades. But a good way to find a decent used trailer in the <$500 range is to go on Craig's list or FB market place and put a max price for a boat at $500... then surf through until you find a nasty boat (maybe with a small tree growing in it) that is sitting on a decent trailer. Buy it... strip any decent hardware off of the boat ... part it out and then offer the hull up for $100 OBO... Or smash the hull up and put it in a dumpster.

I've done this twice! Here is some pics of a trailer I got with a 19' seacraft with a blown Mercruiser for $400. I stripped off several cleats, a compas, a motor mount for a kicker etc.... then sold the hull for $100 to a grandpa who wanted a project to work on with his grandson. I had to knock some rust off the trailer and then painted it with cold galvanizing compound (Rustoleum), added a new winch and strap and new lights. I had to also remove the bunk mounts and then added new ones to fit my boat.

When you take what I originally paid plus materials to fit it to my needs , less what I recovered off the boat and the $100 for the sale of the hull. I'd say I got this trailer for about $200 and some sweat equity.
Trailer1.jpg
Trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg

Alternatively you might want to think about using some cold galvanizing compound on your existing trailer and or add some zincs to the trailer to slow its degredation.

1687449335831.png
1687449395917.png

Jun 21, 2023
The used trailer market is a bit strange. A decent used trailer for sale will likely cost you north of $900 and will likely be closer to $1200 ...and still require $ome upgrades. But a good way to find a decent used trailer in the <$500 range is to go on Craig's list or FB market place and put a max price for a boat at $500... then surf through until you find a nasty boat (maybe with a small tree growing in it) that is sitting on a decent trailer. Buy it... strip any decent hardware off of the boat ... part it out and then offer the hull up for $100 OBO... Or smash the hull up and put it in a dumpster.
Funny enough, this is the likely path I'm heading down. The only galvanized trailers I've found which might work for me are in the $900-1,400 range used. Alternatively, I've got a lead on a few options in the $500-800 range with boats on them, some of which are actually pretty usable (a 13' Aluminum boat and a Hobie 16 (the arms for the cat are removeable)). I just need to sneak the boat onto our property so my wife doesn't see I've bought another boat!

Still though, I need to be sure I don't end up with a trailer that won't work for my boat and I've yet to hear back from other Potter owners to confirm trailer dimensions.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
As such, I'm curious if there's a way to estimate a rough capacity for a trailer based on the sum of it's parts? For example, I was recently looking at a galvanized trailer made from 2"x1" fully boxed rails and 16" tires. I would THINK it is capable of carrying my 550lb boat, but not sure how it would handle additional weight from gear.
100% agree with the comments about check the hubs and tires to get an idea of load capacity. My thought is any trailer that is road worthy is going to have enough capacity. This is based on my trailer. I have a 4'x8' utility trailer that uses 8" wheels (yes eight) and the smallest 4 bolt hub possible (When I recently put new bearings in it all the hub kits I could find were designed for larger axles). The load capacity for the trailer is 1100 lbs. I know that's legit as I bought the trailer new some 25+ years ago and have loaded it to that, and probably more. I would be surprised to see other trailers having a lower load capacity?

On the buy a boat to get a trailer plan, I think it is a sound idea. I just bought a Prindle 16 for $650 and it had a galvanized trailer with a title, new tires and new hubs. I wanted both the boat and trailer and honestly the boat is kind of terrible but hey at least I got a decent trailer.

Jan 19, 2010
No reason to junk a hobie… and four people can easily lift it on and off a trailer

Jun 21, 2023
No reason to junk a hobie… and four people can easily lift it on and off a trailer
Oh no, I won't be junking the hobie if I go that route. I live in Santa Cruz and there's a good-sized Hobie fleet here in town. I truly do not need another boat, but if I can actually get the Hobie (which I know to be in good shape) and trailer for $800, it would be a cherry on top which I don't have to feel guilty about not using regularly...and I bet it would be fun to go out on occasionally.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
The used trailer market is a bit strange.
As is the trailer sailer market. I gathered data from ads for several models of trailer sailer over a couple of years before buying my current boat and I was amazed to discover that there's no difference in (asking) price for the same boat with or without trailer. Not only that, there's little or no difference in (asking) price between the same boat with or without various expensive options or upgrades, such as wheel verses tiller or flush toilet verses port-a-potty.

There may be some difference in actual selling price, though. It's hard to get selling price data and I only have a little, for a few models of boats (that a dealer kindly provided me). Not enough to gain much insight other than that actual selling price averages about 5 percent less than asking price.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
As is the trailer sailer market. I gathered data from ads for several models of trailer sailer over a couple of years before buying my current boat and I was amazed to discover that there's no difference in (asking) price for the same boat with or without trailer. Not only that, there's little or no difference in (asking) price between the same boat with or without various expensive options or upgrades, such as wheel verses tiller or flush toilet verses port-a-potty.

There may be some difference in actual selling price, though. It's hard to get selling price data and I only have a little, for a few models of boats (that a dealer kindly provided me). Not enough to gain much insight other than that actual selling price averages about 5 percent less than asking price.
That’s really interesting…:beer:

Jun 21, 2023
Not that any of you were on the edge of your seats on this one, but I figured I'd close the loop here as I ended up finding a solution this weekend.

I found this galvanized Pacific G14-1000 with a 1000lb capacity that I THINK will work. I need to buy another keel roller and a new bow stop before I can test it, plus I'm still waiting for some paint to dry. But, to the point of this thread, sure enough it ended up being cheaper to find one with a boat already on it. Luckily, said boat is a 14 foot Achilles RIB which I think I'll get some real use out of. Heading out from the Santa Cruz Harbor and getting a bit of near-shore fishing in sounds like a good way to spend a few hours. I'm a bit bummed not to have ended up with a Hobie, but I already have two small sailboats and really couldn't justify a third.

All in, this trailer/RIB was about $400 less than trailer-only options I was finding. The guy selling it didn't mention the fact that it was on a Galvanized trailer in the ad, and I'm convinced that is why no one snagged it before me.

IMG_6568.JPG

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Well you can really never have too many boats right ?Now you just need to figure out an easy way to switch the boats while using the same trailer

Jun 21, 2023
Now you just need to figure out an easy way to switch the boats while using the same trailer
My thought/hope is to repurpose my original Potter trailer for the RIB and my Mirror Dinghy. These are both relatively easily moved by hand (about 200-250 lbs) so swapping them is significantly easier than the Potter, which I hope to keep permanently on the galvanized trailer. The Mirror won't often go in salt water and the RIB can be launched without fully dunking the trailer. Also, since I can more easily keep the boats off the trailer, I should be able to maintain it more easily and keep it coated in the cold galvanizing paint from Rustoleum.

Or...I could go buy the 14' lightweight galvanized trailer and 12' Aluminum boat down the street for $500, then sell the aluminum boat on my old Potter trailer and keep the galvanized trailer for the RIB and Mirror. But I think that might be pushing my wife's patience :)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Those older, hot dipped galvanized trailers hold up really well compared to their iron alternatives. I've owned an 84 and a 95 Magic tilt. Both had nearly zero rust. The 95 I still own and was used in salt water for half its life. For better and for worse, the EPA has banned this process
Not that any of you were on the edge of your seats on this one, but I figured I'd close the loop here as I ended up finding a solution this weekend.

I found this galvanized Pacific G14-1000 with a 1000lb capacity that I THINK will work. I need to buy another keel roller and a new bow stop before I can test it, plus I'm still waiting for some paint to dry. But, to the point of this thread, sure enough it ended up being cheaper to find one with a boat already on it. Luckily, said boat is a 14 foot Achilles RIB which I think I'll get some real use out of. Heading out from the Santa Cruz Harbor and getting a bit of near-shore fishing in sounds like a good way to spend a few hours. I'm a bit bummed not to have ended up with a Hobie, but I already have two small sailboats and really couldn't justify a third.

All in, this trailer/RIB was about $400 less than trailer-only options I was finding. The guy selling it didn't mention the fact that it was on a Galvanized trailer in the ad, and I'm convinced that is why no one snagged it before me.

View attachment 217275