Trailer bow stop H26

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
My names Roger and just bought an H26. Nicely equipped and plenty of new stuff to learn about. However on the way home with my new boat one side of the rubber bow stop broke and the boat moved to the side and forward and dinged my boat. I have been unable to find a new one and no number on old one. I’m assuming (I know first mistake) that this an OEM part. Does anyone know where to find one or even a part number will help. Looks like a few days warmer weather and I want to sail my new boat. Don’t think I’ll tow til it’s fixed.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
This should be a generic boat trailer part, available at most any marine or trailer parts source. If you have any local suppliers, just take yours off and bring it in with you so you can be sure.

On the 1998 trailer manufactured by Hunter for my 1998 Hunter 26, it's just a standard 3" x 3" bow stop with a ½" hole for the bolt. I just replaced mine for the same reason you described, except it had already happened before I bought the boat, so I don't know what exactly went wrong. Perhaps something about how the boat's tied down?

After bolting the replacement bow stop into place, I did have to kind of force-swivel it into the proper orientation to match up with the bow angle. The side plates that the bolt goes through interfered slightly with the proper position, but it was easy enough to force it with undue damage.

Nov 14, 2018
This should be a generic boat trailer part, available at most any marine or trailer parts source. If you have any local suppliers, just take yours off and bring it in with you so you can be sure.

On the 1998 trailer manufactured by Hunter for my 1998 Hunter 26, it's just a standard 3" x 3" bow stop with a ½" hole for the bolt. I just replaced mine for the same reason you described, except it had already happened before I bought the boat, so I don't know what exactly went wrong. Perhaps something about how the boat's tied down?

After bolting the replacement bow stop into place, I did have to kind of force-swivel it into the proper orientation to match up with the bow angle. The side plates that the bolt goes through interfered slightly with the proper position, but it was easy enough to force it with undue damage.
I made about a 200 mile circle hitting marinas and boat sales the area tues. I found one 3x3 like you said but was smaller vee. Makes me think mine either spread or could be a will fit. I’m going to cut down a 5” to get to lake for a shakedown cruise (me not the boat) and pick up the other one while I’m there.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Take @Crazy Dave Condon up on his offer to help. This can’t be rocket surgery, though. It’s a cylindrical v-shaped piece of plastic with a hole through the center.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The rubber trailer Bow Stop is merely that, a soft stop. The cable winch is used to help guide the boat as it is floated (not forced winched) unto the trailer. Although the cable winch is used to tighten the bow to the stop it is not to be relied on to solely secure the boat to the trailer. A safety line should be ran from the bow eye fixture down to the center rail of the trailer. I do prefer a light chain with a quick release latch for convenience. The winch cable pulls in a lateral direction while the safety line will pull in a vertical one The idea is to keep that bow pressed against the stop to counteract road trailering forces. Nothing is always easy as at times the height of the tide or the slope of the ramp will make it difficult to float that boat tightly to the bow stop. Work out a system that would minimize using the geared purchase of the winch to force it into position. In any instance before hitting the road make sure the boat is well tied to the trailer both from the bow and stern. Hope some of this is helpful. Oh, and adequate replacement for the bow stop should be easily found at any chandlery, just measure the width of the bracket and get the size of the bolt.

Nov 14, 2018
Benny. I just bought this boat so did not load it. I did however check to be sure it was securely in the stop and the safety chain was secure. Aft tie down was in place as well. At some point one side of the bow stop broke off letting the boat to move to the left and forward 2 or 3 inches. I’m pretty rural where I live but I have pretty good collection of stops now ( internet) and none are like what I have. I’ll keep looking and reading all advice on the forum.. Thanks to all of you for your help. I’m beginning to think what was there might not be right either.

Nov 14, 2018
If you knew how bad I hate to eat crow. Tw that is exactly what I had. I’ve been to marinas and boat stores within a wide radius. Not to mention internet. So while cleaning up the back lot I saw my old boat (1974 windrose) guess what I saw on the trailer. The vee is not quite as wide but will be just fine. Soooo I say thanks to all of you. Problem solved