Trade Symmetrical Spinner for Asym

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
Hi Capri 22 Owners -

Does anyone have a symmetrical spinnaker they'd like to trade for an asymmetrical? In exchange for helping with a boat, the owner gave me what he thought was a symmetrical but it turned out not to be. It is red with a centered black square, in good shape. I already have an asym spin, it's really a versatile sail, yet it does not qualify for racing.

Steve

Jul 28, 2016
Don't have a sail to swap with you, but I am curious why the a-sail can't be used for racing? Are you racing one-design?

I race exclusively with an a-sail, flown from a sprit. In our PHRF district, we have the following options.

1. Race any size legal spinnaker, using a spinnaker pole, using the standard PHRF rating.
2. Race with an a-sail only, tacked at the bow (no spin pole), with a 6sec/mile credit.
3. Race with an a-sail only, from a bow sprit. Sail can be up to 25% oversize. Uses standard PHRF rating, but must use this configuration
exclusively.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
The Capri 22 class rules allow only symmetrical, though I could probably get an accommodation. Our races are all windward-leeward, and a poled out spinnaker seems to work best. There are probably a lot of symmetrical sails lying in Capri 22's that will never be used, and the asymmetric may afford more opportunities for use while cruising, so I thought someone may be interested to trade.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
BaconSails.com may have the sail you are looking for, then take your old one in consignment.