Tracing Parasitic Loads (Battery Leaks/Gremlins)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have seen a lot of questions over the years about parasitic battery loads (current draw on your battery even when everything appears to be turned off) and wanted to post a quickie on how to isolate and find them.

In order to trace ghost or parasitic loads you'll need the proper tool. You'll want a multi-meter that will read DC amps / millivolts out to the thousandths or at a minimum the hundredths.

These meters can be had very cheaply these days and while the cheapies might not be the most accurate you are only looking to eliminate or make the current draw disappear on the meters screen.

If you find you have a parasitic load you can easily track it down by disconnecting load wires from the back of the panel , one by one while monitoring the meter, or anywhere a load pulls off the circuit down stream/current of the meter.

To test for this you simply insert the meter between the positive post of the battery and the positive battery cable. Please only do this with everything turned OFF!!! I can't stress this enough. ALL loads must be turned off including the battery switch before inserting your multimeter.

The fuses in multimeters, for reading milliamp DC current, are usually a 2 amp fuse MAX. Do not blow this fuse or the meter will no longer work. Fixing it will most likely require you to disassemble the meter to change the circuit board mounted fuse.

Once you've connected the positive lead from the multi-meter to the positive battery post, and the negative wire from the meter to the battery cable, set your meter to read milliamps and plug your cables into the appropriate sockets on the meter.

Once you flip on the meter it will either read .000, meaning you have no parasitic load, or a current flow such as the one pictured below.

Please note that I set this up in my garage and used a Sensibulb as my current draw hence the teeny tiny wire I labeled "battery cable". Your battery cable would be considerably larger..

Of course, like anything, there are more ways than this to achieve the same outcome but I find this to be the easiest and one of the fastest. A clamp meter that does DC amps/millivolt would actually be easier. I chose not to use my clamp meter for this because I know how "penny wise" sailors are and I also realize that suggesting the use of an "expensive" DC clamp meter would get me laughed off the board..:D

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Tracing Parasitic Loads

That is a good discription of the method. Heed the warning concerning the fuse and the need to turn everything off. you are just looking for strays and not hunting the whole flock.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego

Maine Sail
First as usual... a great tip. Although I would say that I am fortunate.. living in a slip and when at sea, not for great lengths and having a portable gen, no worries. I was wondering can this concept be adapted to using the amp reading function on the voltmeter. Specifically, lets say I turn everything off ( I know its caveman but I dont have a dedicated ampmeter inline on my boat), and then connect the "clamp on style" one that I have to see if I have an amp draw. I would do this between the house cables and the inverter/bat charger I have. Would this find a parasitic draw? I have added up amp draw before and it does ok reading my amp hr draw.

Thanks and happy turkey day
Did I say "draw" enough times. Sheesh

Feb 6, 1998
I was wondering can this concept be adapted to using the amp reading function on the voltmeter. Specifically, lets say I turn everything off ( I know its caveman but I dont have a dedicated ampmeter inline on my boat), and then connect the "clamp on style" one that I have to see if I have an amp draw. I would do this between the house cables and the inverter/bat charger I have. Would this find a parasitic draw? I have added up amp draw before and it does ok reading my amp hr draw.
Yes you would clamp your meter around the positive cable leaving the house battery, or which ever battery you are using. This would only work if your meter does DC amps/milliamps which many clamp meters don't. Don't forget to zero it first.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
"easily?" what Mayne Sail fails to tell you...

If you find you have a parasitic load you can easily track it down by disconnecting load wires from the back of the panel , one by one while monitoring the meter, or anywhere a load pulls off the circuit down stream/current of the meter.
...is that if you have 500 circuits on your boat, the first 499 you disconnect will be absolutely fine. The offending circuit is always that last one.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: "easily?" what Mayne Sail fails to tell you...

On the other hand it number 257 seems to be the culprit you still have to check the rest.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL

Good tip.

For those that don't have ammeters on their boats, like me, you can get a decent 10A meter from Mouser. Then you can put it in line to monitor your current draw when sailing.

Feb 6, 1998
...is that if you have 500 circuits on your boat, the first 499 you disconnect will be absolutely fine. The offending circuit is always that last one.
And of course Murphy is sitting in the corner drinking a beer and laughing at you the whole time....;););)