Towing

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
I am hoping you all can help me with this. I am thinking I would like to buy a Catalina Sport 22. I own a RAV4 plug in hybrid - it has a 2,500 pound towing capacity. My goal is to find a marina that will allow me to park the boat, on a trailer, rigged, in their trailer storage area, and when I want to sail, drive in with my car, hitch her up, back it down the ramp, and sail. What I am wondering is if the RAV4 would allow me to do that? I understand that this boat, with an outboard and gear (and maybe a passenger or two in the car) would be above the towing weight for taking that trailer on the road (I would just rent a U-Haul or whatever to do that the few times I would need to). So I would NOT take the boat and trailer on the road with the RAV4. But would that RAV4 serve to manipulate the boat from its parking spot, to the boat ramp (maybe 100-150 yards), back her down, and more importantly, retrieve her at the ramp? I can't afford a bigger truck at this time, but I really feel that I want to go a step up over the Precision 18/WWP, etc zone and get into a Catalina Sport 22 for spaciousness on the water.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You'll do fine to the ramp and back. People have launched more with less.
My 11000 lb boat far exceeds my Suburban's capacity but I haul it to the crane and back twice a year. About 1/8 mile
You'll love the C22

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
You should be fine. I used to tow a 1995 Macgregor 26S with a 1995 Mitsubishi Delica, which has similar weight and power to the RAV4 hybrid. The Delica launched the Mac (over 3,000 lb towing weight, well over 4,000 lb when coming out of the water) with no problems. The RAV4 is AWD, right? You'll definitely want AWD/FWD, for when the ramp is slippery.

May 17, 2021
Catalina 18 Chesapeake
You should be fine. I used to tow a 1995 Macgregor 26S with a 1995 Mitsubishi Delica, which has similar weight and power to the RAV4 hybrid. The Delica launched the Mac (over 3,000 lb towing weight, well over 4,000 lb when coming out of the water) with no problems. The RAV4 is AWD, right? You'll definitely want AWD/FWD, for when the ramp is slippery.
Thanks Tedd!
Indeed it is and the plug in hybrid has all wheel drive with 199/89 lb-ft of torque (front/rear), as compared to a standard LE AWD RAV4 which has 149/89 lb-ft). I would assume an advantage of it being a plug in hybrid is that the electric motors can deliver full torque at zero RPM(?)

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I would assume an advantage of it being a plug in hybrid is that the electric motors can deliver full torque at zero RPM(?)
More or less, yes. The kind of motors typically used in automotive applications today don't necessarily have maximum torque at zero RPM, but they do have excellent low-RPM torque.

My Delica had more torque than the RAV4, due to being a turbo diesel (285 ft.lb), but lower maximum power (only 125 HP). Overall, I would expect the pulling capability to be pretty close between the two, and the Delica had no problem at all. The Delica did have a lower range in the 4WD gearbox that was a real stump puller, but I didn't normally use it. I tried it once just to see how low it was (it was amazing), but normal range worked just fine.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is likely to do what you propose. The towing specs in the US are very conservative as the vehicles are anticipated to legally tow at Interstate speeds of 70MPH. Check the European ratings for a similar vehicle to get a better idea of your vehicle's capability. Another concern is Insurance; should you get into an accident with a towing load that exceeds the 2,500 lbs. it is it may be that your coverage may be voided.

Dec 29, 2021
Catalina, Tanzer C 22, 16 10910 Starr SC
As someone told me when I asked about pulling an Oday with my CRV, it's not the pulling but the stopping that I needed to think about.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
As someone told me when I asked about pulling an Oday with my CRV, it's not the pulling but the stopping that I needed to think about.
Equally as important is the turning

A light car with a small wheelbase is very susceptible to being pushed around by a heavy relative to the cars weight trailer