Towing wide

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
I am attracted to some of the catboats and catboat derivatives available, with their generous accommodation for a given length. Needless to say it is increased beam and belly that gives them that enhancement. Before seriously considering this option, I want to find out how much hassle there would be in towing something on the public highway that may range from 9'6" to a little over 10' wide

My concern is entirely from a constabulary point of view. I would be moving the boat a couple of of times a year between Alberta and BC, with possible future dips ♬South of the border, down USA way

Is all I need 1. Flags (and corner lights at night); 2. Oversize Load sign; 3. Permit, maybe annual permit, from one province, or maybe one from each? Ditto for any states visited?

I'd appreciate answers from people who actually DO this, because I have already, via the magic of Google, read the multiple and multifarious theoretical opinions of other people who have Googled this question! I hereby coin a new term: Google Spiral, for this descent into baseless theory, and I confess that I am as guilty of it as anyone else.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In nearly all states with the exception of a few, a wide load permit is required. Some designate routes and you generally cannot travel at night. Then of course flags and or lights. You have to worry about overhang. You will be required to go through the weigh scales and so on. Use to tow many sailboats over the years as a dealer

Jul 30, 2019
Thank you Dave. So are you in exactly the same situation as a commercial trucker? Would you be phoning in to a state number and buying a permit while rolling, in advance of crossing a state boundary? Doubtless there is an app for it nowadays.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I have nicer wheels, but those fenders are sweet.

Jul 30, 2019
Any Canadians who regularly tow a boat wider than, say, 9 feet? I see quite a few wide fishing boats that must be over 10', so maybe this is the wrong place to ask.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I am attracted to some of the catboats and catboat derivatives available, with their generous accommodation for a given length. Needless to say it is increased beam and belly that gives them that enhancement. Before seriously considering this option, I want to find out how much hassle there would be in towing something on the public highway that may range from 9'6" to a little over 10' wide

My concern is entirely from a constabulary point of view. I would be moving the boat a couple of of times a year between Alberta and BC, with possible future dips ♬South of the border, down USA way

Is all I need 1. Flags (and corner lights at night); 2. Oversize Load sign; 3. Permit, maybe annual permit, from one province, or maybe one from each? Ditto for any states visited?

I'd appreciate answers from people who actually DO this, because I have already, via the magic of Google, read the multiple and multifarious theoretical opinions of other people who have Googled this question! I hereby coin a new term: Google Spiral, for this descent into baseless theory, and I confess that I am as guilty of it as anyone else.
You might consider talking to your local police or an actual trucking company to see what they would allow in Canada.

Of course you mention crossing the border so that would likely be a whole different set of rules by state.

Jul 30, 2019
I guess actual experience is what I am looking for.

Police officers are individuals who understand things often as imperfectly as the rest of us, and in Alberta the DMV registries are privatised and the person you speak to was very likely serving up Big Macs the previous week. BC I think I have a rough grasp of requirements, from speaking with a boater last year in BC who towed an 11' boat regularly without issues. Commercial haulers may or may not be governed by the same regulations as recreational users.

I think I have probably asked the question in the wrong place. There are few trailerable sailboats over 8'6" around.

But thank you to the people who have answered.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I guess actual experience is what I am looking for.

Police officers are individuals who understand things often as imperfectly as the rest of us, and in Alberta the DMV registries are privatised and the person you speak to was very likely serving up Big Macs the previous week. BC I think I have a rough grasp of requirements, from speaking with a boater last year in BC who towed an 11' boat regularly without issues. Commercial haulers may or may not be governed by the same regulations as recreational users.

I think I have probably asked the question in the wrong place. There are few trailerable sailboats over 8'6" around.

But thank you to the people who have answered.
I think you are correct on the rarity of trailerable sailboats with large widths. Have you considered talking to professional boat shippers?

I would also agree that police officers are often left to their own devices in interpreting the law they are enforcing (tough job made harder by trying to decipher legalese) which I think is the basis of your question as you are trying to avoid or at least be prepared for a “discussion” on the side of the road.

The only real experience I have had is moving farm equipment in a rural setting. I found that OPP cruisers would pull way off on the side of the road just like everyone else as I approached with a huge 4 wheel drive tractor towing a disc that took up almost all of the road.;)

Just out of curiosity what kind of boat are you considering?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Regularly and nonissue. Alberta transportation and the same in BC will issue you a permit over the phone, and what it does for you is prevents the necessity of stopping at the scales, and shuts down the renta-cops who seem to think they know a lot in case they take an interest in you. 9’6” is a good number. :)

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter216... I have towed a lot of overwide farm equipment too! As recently as this hay season. But put a triangle on the back and stay below 30mph and you can do anything.

Boats: mainly catboats, which at 25' tend to be around the 10' beam mark. Irwin 10/4 is a 25' sloop but catboat-derived so is 10'4", hence the name. These boats are very trailerable, but wide. Nonsuch 26 is another, 10'6". generous accommodation and head room in them though.

Meriachee, that sounds like good information, thanks. Good to know it means you can bypass scales.

Yes indeed, conversations by the roadside with someone itching to give you a ticket are to be avoided. There is always something that is ticketable to save their face.

Aug 1, 2011
More often than not, we find its the “gawker mentality”. Kinda like the stupids who sit right at the transom in the other lane. Sailboats going down the road seem to attract a lot of attention.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
More often than not, we find its the “gawker mentality”. Kinda like the stupids who sit right at the transom in the other lane. Sailboats going down the road seem to attract a lot of attention.
Yes sometimes you just have to shake your head. Not always on the highway either.

I was running a Cat D5 with swamp tracks on a site walking it along at end of shift. Looked over and some young guy was walking beside the track with his hand bouncing along on top of the treads. Let’s just say he didn’t do it again!! ;)

Aug 4, 2013
Cataline 25 Denver
I tow an Orion 27 at 9' 2" wide. Haven't been hassled. That too requires flags and lights in many states-I keep set handy - don't know about Canada. Also, requirements varying within state such as here in Colorado on mountain roads. At 10' wide you get into additional requirements in some states. Cops usually give us recreational vehicles some lack but 10' gets noticeable.
Some of those on-line sites that put together permit packages for folks crossing more than one State, may be of help. Otherwise, experienced truckers would know. Even you're local guy hauling excavators or large equipment should know.
I wish I could be more helpful.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Follow Meriachee’s advice. I was a sailboat dealer who transported wide load sailboats on the east coast. You have to contact each individual state for wide loads and permits generally thru the highway departments not DMV. WIDE LOAD generally Is anything over 8 1/2 feet. There are exceptions like North Carolina which is wider.

As for asking truckers only ask those who transport boats as others will not know for example those who only drive the standard box style trailers as those are not over width

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for that Dave. And thanks to all who replied. I think I have a fairly good handle on it now.

BTW, I am told that whereas before old folks would cough to hide a f*rt, now they are f*rting to hide a cough.