Towing Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2007
- - Charleston, SC
Do most people tow a Catalina 22 with the outboard engine in its normal attached location or take the engine off the boat? I am not talking about a short haul to a ramp but towing for 300 to 500 miles.
Tomc

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
towing

Mine is removed and stowed in the truck. A couple of folks I sail with leave them on the boat, they do add a strap to keep the motor from bouncing. At least one other has made a mount on his trailer (at the winch post) thus allowing him to stow the motor in the upright position while trailering, freeing up space in the truck. Sure makes it easier to re-mount the motor.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I use the strap . . .

I run a strap from the aft rail stantion, around the motor, to the upper gudgeon pin on the mast crutch on my Capri 22 for the 45 mile trip to the ramp. The motor seems to ride pretty well and wants to slide around in the back of the truck so I'd probably do the strap on a longer trip too.

Chris

May 24, 2007
Catalina 22 Kenosha, Wi
Stow

I stow mine in the truck along with anything I have room for off the boat. I figure less wear and tear on trailer, motor mount and engine. Ken's sailing partner has a good idea with the front mount idea. That would keep the weight near the hitch. I'll have to look in to that.

Dec 23, 2007
catalina catalina22 lake tillery NC
strap

I leave mine on and ratchet strap it to the rear pulpit to stop bounce. I have towed it many hundreds of miles this way and will continue to do so. I have enough tounge weight so the motor on the back is fine. Alan

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Baby your boat

Tom: You are asking for opinions with your question, and here's mine:

I take my motor off and carry it in the Suburban. I wouldn't even think of leaving it on the motor bracket for more than just moving the boat around the boatyard. I baby my boat, but I have had it for 28 years and don't know when I'll buy another one. I actually only carry sails, life jackets, and fenders on my boat when I trailer it. When my boat was new, I had a metal gas can in it, which wore a spot in the liner near where the gas can sits, when I trailered it from Pennsylvania to the Florida Keys. Since then, I reevaluated what I keep in the boat when I trailer it, and baby it. Keeping the motor on the bracket would stress the hull and the bracket, and the motor mounting block, especially when the trailer hits bumps, or pot holes. Maybe this wouldn't hurt anything, but why risk it? It only takes a minute or two to put the motor back onto the block.

Aldo

M

May depend on weight

Made a mistake once, towed from northwestern Wyoming to northwester Washington with Honda 9.9 4cycle attached to mount, and arrived with some mount damage, one of its supports had cracked. Returned home with it off the boat, in the truck. I suspect it would have been ok with a very small, light OB, and tied in place as mentioned by others. RK

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Re: Towing Catalina 22

I always took my motor off. I built an "n" shaped bracket for it so it could lay in the truck attached to the bracket and not be damaged. There is lots of movement on the back of any towed vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.