Towing a Tender

Dutch1

Mar 22, 2014
C&C LF38 Anacortes
I bought an Achilles LS-260E tender and would like to know best method to attach to a C & C Landfall 38. Also bought a used Honda BF5A short shaft (5HP) engine and need ideas on best place to stow the engine while underway. The engine weight is 59 lbs.

Thank you,
Dutch1

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Stow it, don't tow it!

In my opinion, you should stow it; not tow it. But if you must recommend use a 3-point attachment. It's important that the centered towing ring of the dink be attached to the boat; the lateral tow pad-eyes that are only glued on can (and do) pull off if used alone. Use 1/2" three-stand polypropylene (i.e., floating) line as the warp. Engine goes on the stern rail as per usual unless you wish to stow it below in the cockpit locker.

Dutch1

Mar 22, 2014
C&C LF38 Anacortes
Re: Stow it, don't tow it!

Thanks for the quick response Kings Gambit.

I need to figure out an easy way to handle the dink and motor when we take a short trip and anchor in one of the San Juan Islands here in WA with not too much effort. Motor weighs 59 lbs. and don't want to make this a major chore when attaching to the dink in the water.

Dutch1

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Are you able to hoist the dingy onto the foredeck using the jib (or spinnaker) halyard? I have a motor hoist on my stern that makes putting the outboard onto the stern rail easy. Someday I hope to put in dingy davids on the stern.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I don't mind towing the dink without the motor. The motor on the dink will really slow you down. I use the mainsheet block to lower the motor over the side of the boat to attach to the dink. I stow the ob on the stern rail with a couple of rags to give it a little bite and prevent scratching. I make up a harness with a short piece of 1/2" rope and attach it with a large carabiner.
When I tow the dink I too use a polyethylene floating painter. I have a bridle and made one a tad shorter than the other so the dink trails outside of the wake. When in the harbor I pull the dink short and hook the bridle onto the stern cleat to keep it under control.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have 5-hp (Tohatsu) as well, but also a 4-hp two-stroke Evinrude. The dink usually rides on the fore deck if inflated; otherwise in a bag in the starboard cockpit locker; the engine(s) ride(s) on the stern rail or stowed below, depending on where I'm going and for how long. No dinghy davit aboard--yet. I can deploy the dink w/ the small engine w/o much trouble; or can row if not too far. I put the heavy engine on if I'm sticking around for a while or making short passages in protected waters in which case I might tow the dink w/ the engine attached and tilted up.