Tough stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Solo Docking

Try the link for a start on springlines. Also try a forum archive search on docking. Springlines make solo docking, especially with wind off the dock, a snap. Stu

Jun 5, 2004
- - Eugene, OR
time

Finding the time to sail along with trying to earn a self-employed living, and be a good husband and father is the biggest and toughest challenge. While I agree that docking and reefing (particularly when the object watcher would say you waited too long) present technical difficulties and risk of damage, those can be overcome. Especially regarding docking. Every time you go out, you come back. Normally without injury or property damage. This suggests most of us have some idea how to get home safely. Regarding those who dock under the public eye (restaurants, etc.), I suggest you employe the same technique successful athletes and performers use: ignore the peanut gallery and focus on your job. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo.

May 9, 2004
Oday DaySailer Oklahoma City
Raising Mast

My most challenging aspect to sailing is raising the mast single handed. I have a 1966, O'Day 16'9" Daysailer. Plus I am 57 years young (sometimes feel like 80), but not as agile as I once was. It is a real challenge getting a 27' mast to the verticle position, getting on top of the cuddy (on the trailer of course, would not even think of doing this while the boat was in the water) lifting the mast while doing the balancing act and trying not to fall off the boat or tip the mast to far out of verticle and watch it crash to the ground onto a person or vehicle. Sometimes takes the fun out of sailing just getting the boat ready to float. Gary

Jan 22, 2008
Sundance Sundance 20 Weekender Ninette, Manitoba, Canada
raising the mast alone on a 17

Youkon terr, this one is for you, hope it helps. I am 49 and the task is a bit scarry as I stand that stick upright. This is a task that I have done alone in about 15 to 20 minutes. With the shrouds port and starboard always attached, slide the mast back so that the rear pin lines up in the tabernacle, and insert it. This task is easier if you can rest the back of the mast in a mast support through the gudgeons. Attach a 6 foot line between the head end of the jib halyard (where it usually attaches to the sail) and the stemhead, and grasp the other end of the halyard tail in one hand taking up the slack, as you walk the mast up with the other hand. When it is upright, cleat the halyard, (which will hold the mast in place), insert the forward tabernacle pin, and go to the bow and attach the forestay to the stemhead. Release the halyard and remove the short bit of line you used to extend it. (Reverse the process to walk the mast down into the rear mast support before trailering, then taking the mast off the tabernacle, I slide it forward to rest it in a crutch above the trailer winch. I tie it down in both crutches if trailering any distance, but over winter, I use the mast as a ridge pole for a tarp that covers everything. I do keep the tiedown strap tightly cinched amidship during this operation, even though it is a tripping hazard. I also suspect that a side wind may hamper the above steps when working alone, but surprisingly, it is easier to do than it sounds, and the shrouds do keep the mast fairly well in line the higher it is raised, when it matters most. The trickiest part of using this method, is making sure no lines end up on the wrong side of any rigging aloft. Spinnaker and main halyards are particularly tricky if wound around each other or the wrong side of the spreaders higher than you can reach. Hope this helps.

May 9, 2004
Oday DaySailer Oklahoma City
Mast raising O'Day 17'

Thanks Roger for the tip, but I have a one piece mast, no tabernacle, just a hole on top of the cuddy that the mast goes through to the mast step. Sounds like it would be easier with a tabernacle than stepping the mast onto the top of the cuddy, balancing and bouncing it to the hole. I guess that there is no easy way. I am sure that there are many others like me that have a one piece mast. Maybe I should cut the mast, place a tabernacle, but I am concerned that that would be a weak spot and give me trouble in the higher winds we have in Oklahoma. Thanks again Gary

E

ex-admin

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending June 20, 2004: Sailing's biggest challenges for me involve:    35% Docking and/or anchoring  23% Boat maintenance and other 22% Sail trim (including spinnaker flying)  19% Raising and lowering masts and other rigging issues  1,083 owners responding

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
trick

have owned a Flying Scot for years. got raising the mast down to a science. the trick is to park slightly downhill. let gravity help. once mast is raised, gravity will hold mast up while you fasten front stay. schrouds should support mast side to side while going up. try it , it works for me! good luck, don't let this discourage you good luck, geo PS, i'mm47 Gary, just do it

Jun 6, 2004
- - Vallej, CA
Thanks for the tips.

Stu, Thanks for the tips, particularly on the downhaul. I'll see what I can rig - It'd sure be great to be able to get the jib down from the cockpit. J.P. Dyer

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 Weymouth, Ma
The wife telling me to Sell

My problem is not any aspect of sailing,docking or money...IT'S MY WIFE TELLING ME TO SELL THE BOAT....WHICH LUCKY FOR ME DIDN'T HAPPEN LAST YEAR.

May 18, 2004
W D Schock Lido 14 Milpitas, CA
*666 It's an easy answer

The hardest part of sailing is getting the time to go. The rest is fun, even if it's physically challenging. My first sailboat is a one-design dinghy, which I still take sailing. This boat is the one I sail the most and that is because I have a RACE SCHEDULE marked out on the calender. Someone once told me,"To race is to sail" and I quickly discovered why. Mark your sailing days on the calender and stick with that date as one might with any other date, and you will find more time to sail. Catch my wake....

Jun 3, 2004
ODAY 28 bayside
PRACTICAL SAILOR

I FOUND IT TOUGH, AND WOULD NOT WANT TO DO IT OFTEN; TO TAKE THE MAST DOWN. THAT WAS DIFICULT ENOUGH, BUT THE PROBLEMS PUTTING IT UP WERE WORSE. THE JIB SAIL PULLY FROZE UP AT THE TOP OF THE MAST, AFTER WE RAISE IT. THAT REQUIRED A BOSON'S CHAIR RIDE UP & I DON'T HAVE ONE! THE ANCHOR LIGHT BURNED OUT ATOP THE MAST, AND THE DECK FLOOD LIGHT FAILED AS WELL. ALL AFTER RAISING THE MAST. THE OTHER TOUGH STUFF IS PLANNING A TRIP FOR SEVERAL DAYS JOURNEY AND HAVING TO MOTOR INTO THE WIND ALL THE WAY TO MY DESTINATION, THEN SEVERAL DAYS LATER ON THE RETURN LEG, HAVING THE WIND SHIFT 180* AND HAVING TO MOTOR ALL THE WAY BACK AS WELL. YOU CALL THIS SAILING? THAGG

Status
Not open for further replies.