Touching up with polyurethane

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Hi folks, my C&C’s PO had her topsides painted five years ago with Sterling navy blue poly. The job was done professionally and is holding up extremely well. I’d like to address some anchor nicks at the bow and a minor impact wound on the port beam.

The nicks are superficial but the impact will require filling and fairing.

Looking for advice on localized touchup with poly, specifically Sterling.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The first thing to determine is whether the paint was a one part or two part polyurethane. Two part polyurethanes can not go over one part poly.

Andy Miller on Boatworks Today has several videos on repairing nicks and scratches on paint jobs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
This is professional level paint... linear polyurethane... There a many YouTube videos on this type of repair but using the same paint is the first start and you might have trouble matching it up... Sterling offers a number of shades of blue.. so this will be your first challenge. Getting the new paint color to blend with the old. I do not envy you. My first thought was to hire a professional. Perhaps you can save some money by doing a lot of the prep... but when you work with this kind of product you must make sure to have all the factory required mixers, thinning agents etc. That info will be on the label...or at the Sterling paint website. I've painted boats in the past, and done a few repairs, but your project sounds more difficult because you're matching colors in a highly visible area...... pressure. :banghead: Good luck...post a few pics of the results along with your experience.

• Helpful