Touching up while in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br3nt

May 14, 2011
C&C 39 San Francisco
This is my first post, please don't hurt me. Before I get started I should mention that I have looked for an answer but of course don't feel like I've found an answer that solves our particular solution. We recently bought a new-to-us 1969 Santana 22. She's in fairly good condition but could use some love. The cockpit seats and the cockpit floor (well? sole?) are in bad shape and the deck by the bow could use some love. We haven't completely drained the bank (yet of course) but don't plan on having her out until the end of the year or possibly the beginning of next year to completely restore/paint the deck/topsides. The pictures below show how bad the cockpit and bow are. We're planning on power washing her first but after we'd like to know what we can do to clean her up while she's in the water for the next 10 - 12 months (yay San Francisco weather). Obviously we want to sand it all down and repaint and gel coat etc but any thoughts on what we can do to protect her in the meantime?

Thanks in advance and I must say these forums are incredible. Reading these prior to acquiring the boat gave me great insight into what to expect!

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Give her a bath. A medium stiff deck brush and some marine safe boat soap to start.(available at your local West Marine) ..then work on the tough stuff... Use acetone for rubber or petroleum stains..... acid based toilet bowl cleaner for the algae or mildew type stains. Home Depot is a good place to find these products. Finally, wash down the newly cleaned areas with fresh water.

From the pictures there appears to be some peeling paint... but no threat to enjoying the boat after you get the basic cleaning done.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Milwaukee
I had a Santana 22 for many years, a very nice boat. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like some of your issues might be flaking paint more than flaking gel coat. A good cleaning and scrubbrushing, and Joe described, will help clarify what's what. Enjoy the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Welcome.

Your boat was made specifically for the tough sailing conditions on SF Bay. There is most likely an owner's association. You should also become familiar with www.Latitude 38.com

Congrats on your new boat. We started sailing here on a Catalina 22.

Webone

Apr 30, 2010
Jeanneau 45.2 Saugatuck, MI
I used wood bleach (oxalic acid), spray on with garden sprayer (not on windy day) let sit for awhile and rinse away with soft brush. Use rubber gloves and do not get on skin. If you want you can neutralize it with some baking soda sprinkled on before rinse. (probably better for the ocean). Also cleans up wood work nicely.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
I am no expert, that said, the photos make me think a lot of your problems might be paint related. If so, you just might have some nice gelcoat under it. Please keep us updated on your progress!
Jack

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Since you are intending after a season or so to sand/paint, just to mention do not be tempted to at this time to put any wax products on the existing surface. Makes the surface preparation for paint much more complicated.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Just another thought. For your cleaning now while the boat is in the water, give thought to precautions to limit/prevent paint chips/sanding/cleaning chemicals from getting into/on the water. I have read about citations issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.