Tossed at Sea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Pilote

You sailors on Buzzards Bay may know what Fridays weather was around here(sept 24). I attempted to cross , late afternoon, for Hadleys Harbor. The best decision I made all weekend was to cancle that voyage! I was more afraid of not having enough daylight then I was off the roughest I have ever seen the bay. It was an awesome sight, and ride. Made it to Nyes Ledge and it was all I could do to just turn around and head back to port. Any how, my thoughts were also of the boat and equipment, i.e., the keel. I have seen occasionally, in this forum, questions of keel bolts, replacing and maintaining them etc. The question after all this is, How much is too much stress? On any part of the boat. I've been sailing for 4 years, each adventure I go out on is a learning experience, love every breeze of it. And it's not always a breeze! I have so much to learn, and I'm afraid my little boat will not make it. So, if any has read this and can send any input, it would be greatly appreciated and studied, so that I may make my next adventure another safe one. Brisk, sunny autumn sailing to all. Thanks Bill

E

Ernie A

Buzzards Bay & Bertha

Nice story, Bill-- Few year back, we reached up Buzzards Bay (from Stonington) on the coattails of Huricane Bertha. A beautiful sunny day -- with Gale Warnings flying out straight. Learned a lot about heavy weather sailing that long day. Amazing what the Bay can dish out. Amazing what a boat will take. Never so glad to get behind the barrier in New Bedford. Cheers-- Ernie April

Status
Not open for further replies.