Tornado hit solves my headsail dilemma

Afraal

May 29, 2023
Catalina 310 Flowery Branch
So, a Tornado hit my Marina thursday night. Luckily we weren't out sailing. A friend was on his boat when the storm hit and he told me it was the scariest thing he's seen. Chapter III fared the tornado fairly unharmed except for the head sail. It got shred to pieces :wahwah:.

So, from the previous thread's recommendations, I guess I will buy a 135% Genoa. I would appreciate any recommendations on best place to buy it from.

This is the second time one of my boats get a direct hit from a Tornado. Unbelievable.

Thank you guys for any suggestions.

Aug 7, 2007
- - Oyster Bay, NY
Sorry to hear about the Tornado. My suggestion is to find a local sailmaker and have them spec out want you are looking for. I had purchased a sail online a few years back but to be upfront, I was never happy with it. So last year I had a local sailmaker come in, and speak to me about the issues I was having. And they came up with a 150 that was cut to improve our visibility. In our case we have light winds in the summer so we opted for a 150, made from a more lightweight weight material and a lightweight sun protection. I am not more likely to reef in heavier winds, but I have seen an improvement for our light winds days.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have bought sails from Al Declerq - Doyle/Quantum sails Detroit, 586-404-5120 including our latest 135% headsail and Main.
We have bought sails for 3 different boats and over a period of 30 + years. Al is honest and forthright. He is customer service friendly and will not sell you something you do not need.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your Catalina is a production boat. Many sail sources have your design specs. A local loft provides the benefit of a person to help you with the sail should it need tweaking when installed.

I ordered my sail from NorthSail. A 135 Genoa. It was well made, measured to the specifics of my boat, affordable cost, fit the rig, but the leach guard to address the radar was 2" too high. Took sail into loft and they added a second patch to address the issue. Sail was in the loft 2 days, repaired and I had it back on the boat. Worth every bit of the 10% difference in price over an online purchase, in my mind.

Good luck. You will love your new sail.

Oct 4, 2014
Catalina 310 73 Monterey
We bought new sails for our 310 a year or so back. The old main had a couple repairs where the grommets for the Dutchman lines had come out and tore the material, and the last time the 135 had the sun cover repaired I was told that was it. When seam opened up on the jib I knew it was time.
We used a local Ullman Sails loft. His assistant/rigger crews on a boat a few slips down from us, and gave things a once over before starting the build.
The price included them installing both sails and changing from the Dutchman to lazy jacks. While he was up the mast I had him take 5 minutes and replace the masthead unit for the wind instrument.
It was much quicker and simpler to have them do it, the initial setup on the lazy jacks took a bit of fiddling, mostly up the mast.
They did get one of the lazy jack lines twisted with the reefing line at the back of the boom, I didn't find it until the first time I reefed it, but it only took a few minutes to sort out.
Nice to have new sails!!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We bought new sails for our 310 a year or so back. The old main had a couple repairs where the grommets for the Dutchman lines had come out and tore the material, and the last time the 135 had the sun cover repaired I was told that was it. When seam opened up on the jib I knew it was time.
We used a local Ullman Sails loft. His assistant/rigger crews on a boat a few slips down from us, and gave things a once over before starting the build.
The price included them installing both sails and changing from the Dutchman to lazy jacks. While he was up the mast I had him take 5 minutes and replace the masthead unit for the wind instrument.
It was much quicker and simpler to have them do it, the initial setup on the lazy jacks took a bit of fiddling, mostly up the mast.
They did get one of the lazy jack lines twisted with the reefing line at the back of the boom, I didn't find it until the first time I reefed it, but it only took a few minutes to sort out.
Nice to have new sails!!
Ullman in Santa Cruz? Hodges and the gang. Great sailmakers. The did a stack pack for us a few years ago, love it.