Topping lift

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Should I do away with Topping Lift?
I've Selden Rodkicker with gas spring. After sail, I would tension the mainsheet against topping lift to firmly hold boom in place. This reduces boom sweeping when boat rocks.
However it means the riggings is under tension.
Would it be better if i let the boom be supported by the rodkicker with mainsheet tighten and remove topping lift?
I'm sure the boom will sweep about more than when topping lift is use, wearing out something like boom-mast swivel assembly?
What do you think?
Thanks.

Ken

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I clip my main halyard to the boom end and put a little tension on the mainsheet..... wrapped the old topping lift around the backstay.. probably get rid of it when I replace the backstay... otherwise it's out of the way and out of mind.

If your backstay is like a second halyard.. I'd keep it.. never can tell... it could come in handy some day.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Do you have inmast and I use the topping lift to go up the mast
and spinnaker halyard as backup.
Nick

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I now use it as a spare halyard after changing it to the same spec as the original halyard.

Oct 29, 2005
Should i not use the topoing lift, I'll keep as spare halyard. I dont have enough turning blocks and clutch to bring the topping lift back to cockpit so it'll stay at mast.
I dont have inmast.
So any issue with boom sweeping couple inches when boat sway to chop?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Should i not use the topoing lift, I'll keep as spare halyard. I dont have enough turning blocks and clutch to bring the topping lift back to cockpit so it'll stay at mast. I dont have inmast. So any issue with boom sweeping couple inches when boat sway to chop?
Just snug up on the main sheet and the vang to get minimum movement on the boom.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I place a bungee from the bottom of the boom out to the fixed end of the traveler then pull the traveler to the other side. Kind of traingulate to keep the boom from swinging athwartships.

Oct 29, 2005
I place a bungee from the bottom of the boom out to the fixed end of the traveler then pull the traveler to the other side. Kind of traingulate to keep the boom from swinging athwartships.
Ahhh, i see. Load the boom with bungy tension to one side. Thank you.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The topping lift is used as a sail trim tool. Most often it is used to lift the boom and belly the sail on light wind days.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The topping lift is used as a sail trim tool. Most often it is used to lift the boom and belly the sail on light wind days.
Would Ken's Selden Rodkicker with gas spring not give him the same capability?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Would Ken's Selden Rodkicker with gas spring not give him the same capability?
Yes, if you have the gas lift option fitted, and in good order, the boom will lift into the light wind angle. I find them most useful for the fire-drill of shorthanded reefing.

Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Should I do away with Topping Lift?
I've Selden Rodkicker with gas spring. After sail, I would tension the mainsheet against topping lift to firmly hold boom in place. This reduces boom sweeping when boat rocks.
However it means the riggings is under tension.
Would it be better if i let the boom be supported by the rodkicker with mainsheet tighten and remove topping lift?
I'm sure the boom will sweep about more than when topping lift is use, wearing out something like boom-mast swivel assembly?
What do you think?
Thanks.

Ken

The most secure method to secure the boom is to lower it into the gallows or removable crutch and tighten the main sheet. Otherwise my preference is to move the traveler to one side with an auxiliary line from the boom to the opposite side, and snug both down against the topping lift. A rig under moderate tension is much easier on the fittings than one that is sloppy!

FWIW, in light air, less than 4 knots, the air flow is laminar and its velocity increases uniformly from zero at the surface to the maximum aloft. Also the apparent wind becomes more fair with height. At the same time the sail needs to have a minimum draft so as to avoid a stall in the air flow. Thus in light air the boom may be too heavy to allow the sail to twist enough to maintain a constant angle of attack and the sail would stall aloft where the wind is. Watch the leach telltales to keep them streaming by lifting the boom as necessary.

And that's my best shot.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I would keep it. I use my topping lift and boom as a yardarm when loading and unloading my dink outboard on the water.

slaume

Feb 21, 2014
Cape Dory 30 C Noank
Raven has two short lines that attach to the stern pulpit and have clips on the ends. When she is put away, I clip both lines to a bail on the end of the boom. This eliminates all swinging. I still use a topping lift and the main sheet to snug things up but the short lines stop the swing, Steve.

Oct 29, 2005
I'll keep the topping lift secured at mast as spare. Will try securing boom toone side with bungy tension. Unable to lower boom as i've SS arch with traveller overhead.
Appreciated all feedbacks :D