Topping lift set up

Jun 19, 2021
Newport 17 Cherry Hill
Trying to set up a topping lift for my newport 17, just curious how I should go about it.

Run an exact length from boom to top of mast? Or use a pulley for being able to lift it up a little higher when beached?

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
Trying to set up a topping lift for my newport 17, just curious how I should go about it.

Run an exact length from boom to top of mast? Or use a pulley for being able to lift it up a little higher when beached?

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
use a pulley and a cleat on the boom. should be able to adjust so sail holds up boom when sailing and out of the way when docked

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Could you attach a short line to your backstays and just attach it to the end of the boom? Your boom is not that heavy or long so it seems like a lot of work to go thru when a short line will work -- I used that set up on my C30. I didn't like a long line from the top of the mast flapping in the breeze - it upset my Karma!!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Could you attach a short line to your backstays and just attach it to the end of the boom?
Of course, the device now becomes a "pigtail".... no longer a topping lift. Only used for storing boom... never when sailing.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
When I got my Gloucester 20 (also a Harry Sindle design) it had the former. After a while I replaced it with the latter. It's kind of handy sometimes to be able to raise the boom up out of the way when not sailing. Of course I could do that with the fixed line by wrapping it around the boom a few times. I ease my new topping lift and leave it attached when sailing (flapping in the breeze notwithstanding, Don), whereas the old one had to be detached from the boom to sail.