topping lift/rigid vang

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryce Grefe

My rigger has been recommending that I put either a topping lift or a rigid boom vang on my H410. The 410 has an arch and I guess I just don't see thats it worth the money since the arch will keep the boom above the cockpit in the event a of a catastrophic halyard or sail failure. Any comments pro or con? Thanks Bryce Grefe H410 S/V Spellbinder

C

Chris Webb

Rodkicker

Bryce, How did your 410 come rigged from the factory? Mine, and every other one I've seen, came equipped with a solid Selden Rodkicker vang. I believe the factory did not include a hydraulic piston with the Rodkicker, and I wonder if that's what your talking about. If indeed you have no vang or a block and tackle vang, then a solid vang would give you great mechanical advantage for better sail trimming. Fair winds! Chris Webb s/v Grand Cru II

C

Chris Webb

Rodkicker

Bryce, How did your 410 come rigged from the factory? Mine, and every other one I've seen, came equipped with a solid Selden Rodkicker vang. I believe the factory did not include a hydraulic piston with the Rodkicker, and I wonder if that's what your talking about. If indeed you have no vang or a block and tackle vang, then a solid vang would give you great mechanical advantage for better sail trimming. Fair winds! Chris Webb s/v Grand Cru II

G

Topping Lift

I added a topping lift to my 340 equipped with lazy jacks and so not needed because: 1. It provided me a second way to get to the top of the mast if I was unable to use the main halyard. 2. It allowed me to take the pressure off the lazy jacks while at anchor/docks.

B

Bryce Grefe

rodkicker topping lift

I have a block and tackle vang which I've felt has provided for the sail trim. I have hull #8 and it did not come with a rodkicker. I had looked a rodkicker, but when I had my rigger call them, they indicated their largest rodkicker was unsized for the boom. Chris, do you know which model is installed. I use the main halyard when at anchor or moored to keep the boom off the arch and releive the stress on the lazyjacks. Also have a spinnaker halyard for emergency mast work, in the event the main halyard goes. So far, I'm not convinced, but if I can find a rodkicker that will work that might be the way. Thanks for the input. Bryce

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Garhauer

Bryce: Have you you looked at Garhauer rigid vangs? Good price and great warranty. www.garhauer.com

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
Do it.

I'm assuming that, like the rest of us, your 410 came with a Seldon Rodkicker but not with the gas spring that Seldon recommends for it. A CRAZY little way for hunter to save a few bucks. If this is the case, spend the extra bucks to put in the gas spring, this will allow you to ease the mainsail leach when sailing in light air, which makes a huge difference. The gas spring can be installed without tools in about ten minutes. Seldon has a somewhat zooey price scale for these springs, and you'll save considerable money purchasing yours through a boat-show salesdude rather than factory direct....... By the way, many of us use BOTH a topping lift and a sprung rigid vang. The topping lift serves double duty as a back-up main halyard, and is useful for transforming the boom into a crane. Run it through a sheave at the end of the boom and you can use it to retrieve overboard crew, heavy outboard engines, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.