Topping lift required or suggested for a Boston Whaler Harpoon 5'2

Sep 4, 2020
boston whaler harpoon 5.2 Lake LBJ, Texas
I am new to this forum and new to a Harpoon 5.2. I have reviewed a few set-up guidelines for this boat, but find nothing concerning the use of a topping lift. This boat is equipped with a mast crutch, but do not want to lug it around when on the water. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new boat. The attached manual did not reference one. Do you think you need one to hold the boom up? The attached photo does not show one.
1599247821802.png

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In general I would rather have a topping lift than not. You can probably rig one from the masthead to the end of the boom. It should be adjustable and slack when you are sailing. When you de-rig the boat it can be brought to the mast and bungeed like you probable do with your shrouds and forestay.
The topping lift and mainsheet tightened give you a hand hold in the cockpit when the sail is down. You also can flake the sail on the boom so it won't be obstructing the cockpit. Your boom is likely not high enough to not obstruct conversation between people on opposite sides of the cockpit but I think it would nevertheless be an overall plus.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
How would you use the topping lift. Do you drop the mainsail while you're out sailing on a regular basis? Imho, the boom and rig are pretty light so it doesn't take much to keep the sail filled and holding up the boom. Do you have a motor on your 16 footer. You just don't see small boats using topping lifts that much, most of them hoist and drop the main on the beach. I've sailed maybe 15 or so boat under 19 ft and can't remember any of them having a topping lilt. But Heh..... if you think it would help... go for it... just remember, if your mainsail has a all full length battens or a large roach (that's the "hump" on the leech) then it will be more annoying than beneficial.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Imho, the boom and rig are pretty light so it doesn't take much to keep the sail filled and holding up the boom.
Or. Just drop the sail and attach the main halyard to the boom end Voila you have an impromptu topping lift masquerading as main sheet halyard.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Back in the day when I sailed these size of boats, no topping lift. At the end of the day the sail comes off the boom, the boom gets removed and left in the bottom of the boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My last 17 foot boat did not come with a toping lift but I put one on. Found it much easier all around to have it.

dj

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I had the pleasure to sail one of these for several years and considered it a wonderful daysailer. Very good performance and plenty of room for two couples and 5-6 kids. That vessel had a topping lift (which I consider necessary for any boat with a reefable main.

PS - the boom section is small, be attentive to the topping lift you'll break the boom...

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
It’s a small boat with a lightweight boom.

Yes, the boom will drop as you lower the main to the reef point, so take care if the boom flails about, but then the boom will come up again when you draw in the reefing line.

Can certainly use the main halyard as a topping lift after dropping the main.