Topping lift quick disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
I got my '85 H23 home yesterday. As seen in other threads, I'm planning on trailer sailing it, bu the PO kept it in a marina. I've got a few ideas on other areas for quick connections, but the topping lift has me a bit puzzled. This one begins at the mast head, runs through the boom to the gooseneck where it ends in a clutch. It is completely line, like 5/16. Is there a quick coupling system that attaches two ends of a line? My thinking is to cut and splice a few feet above where the lift enters the boom allowing me plenty of adjustment when needed.

Ray T

Jan 24, 2008
Hunter 216 West End - Seven Lakes
When you drop your mast you will probably find the topping lift line has enough slack that you won't have to disconnect it from the boom.

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
When you drop your mast you will probably find the topping lift line has enough slack that you won't have to disconnect it from the boom.
I brought it home with the boom in the cabin and the line just run through a small gap in the companionway closures. Just thought it would be easier to deal with if I could disconnect it.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I got my '85 H23 home yesterday. As seen in other threads, I'm planning on trailer sailing it, bu the PO kept it in a marina. I've got a few ideas on other areas for quick connections, but the topping lift has me a bit puzzled. This one begins at the mast head, runs through the boom to the gooseneck where it ends in a clutch. It is completely line, like 5/16. Is there a quick coupling system that attaches two ends of a line? My thinking is to cut and splice a few feet above where the lift enters the boom allowing me plenty of adjustment when needed.
If your topping lift comes down from the mast head as you describe, all you need is a small single sheave at the end of the topping lift. The sheave should hang down just short of the end of the boom.

Then all you need is a small shackle at the end of your topping lift boom control line. Just remove the shackle and pass this control line through the topping lift sheave and use the shackle to connect the control line to the back of your boom. This is the way my 1986 O'Day 222 is set up.

The topping lift on my mast is made up of Neoprene covered cable, very similar to a lifeline. It has a swaged ball at the masthead end that fits in a hole in the mast head with a cup washer under it. The other end has a swaged marine eye fitting for the single sheave. I'm pretty sure that this can work for you.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
I trailer sailed a H23 for several years. Just stick it the cabin, plenty of slack in topping lift. You might want to consider riging up a "Gen Pole" to make putting the mast up and down easier.
Bill

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Right idea

T-well You have the right idea, put the connector on the end of the mast line, not the boom line, that way you can use this same connector to attach the mast line to the base of the mast after removing the boom. Make sure you have a large knot or ring at the end of the boom line so it doesn’t somehow enter into the back of the boom.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
On my 23.5 I cut toppig 1 ft above boom,tied a 1/2 D shackle to each end,this way line can be attached to mast when lowering boom,and shackel wont pull thru boom.That way boom is out of the way when raising and lower mast.Store boom and mast raising pole in pipe bolted to trailer,saves intereor damage.Not pictured I put a leather sleeve around shackles to prevent wear on main.

Attachments

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Our topping lift is like a halyard: the line has a quick-release shackle to connect to the end of the boom, up to a block at the masthead, then down to a cleat on the mast (or could be run through a block at the mast base then aft to a cabin-top clam-cleat).

The H23 system sounds cool, but I like our arrangement because the topping-llift can be a spare mainsail halyard in a pinch, or hoist a radar reflector, sun-shade, party flag, etc. And it's easily unclipped from the boom and clipped to the spinnaker pole loop on the mast for transport.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I have the same setup as Kenn except that I have been using stainless carabiners to clip on to the end of the boom. Also, my topping lift line runs down the mast to 2 turning blocks and back to the cockpit. Very easy and fast. Mine stays on while sailing, just slack the line. Also use it as a temporary forestay when putting up or taking mast down.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I've been reading this and thinking....What are they talking about...Through the boom and mast stuff? A ball on the end...Huh?
Mine is like Hollyweardos and Kenn's. It attaches to a horn cleat on the mast and goes up to a block on the chicken head and back down to a clip like what you use to clip a dog to a leash.
Kenn mentioned using it as an extra halyard. I was thinking about using it to try my spinnaker out.

Dougo

Nov 22, 2010
Hunter 23 Great Sacandaga Lake, NY
T-Well: What you have is the original topping arrangment. A bit awkward while stepping/unstepping the mast since the line needs to be attached while you're doing that. I plan to cut and splice mine with some shackles so I can set the boom aside when I need to without worrying about the topping lift.

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
I bought a stainless ring and carabiner today and plan to put them inline a couple of feet above where the boom is level and will just disconnect to unstep and with sail up. The ring is big wnough to prevent the line from retracting into the boom. Thanks all.

Sep 21, 2010
Hunter 23.5 Ocala
I did exactly what you are talking about on mine. I store my boom in the cabin when trailering. With the D-ring on the topping lift it gives me an extra hand holding the end of the boom while I disconnect it from the mast and move the boom below. Once the boom is in place I d/c the clip. Makes singlehanded stowing easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.