Topping Lift Hunter 23.5

JDE

Jun 6, 2019
Hunter 23.5 As many as possible
I recently picked up a Hunter 23.5 and need to replace some running rigging. The topping lift and reef line are too big and don’t work in the cam locks very well. After looking at the manual and other sources I’m getting conflicting information on how the topping lift should be run. It is currently tied off at the top of the mast and hangs down at a length close to the reaching the end of the boom with a carabiner on the end. Another line runs through the boom from the cam lock out the other end with a loop tied into it which connects to the carabiner.

The Hunter manual specified a 31 foot 1/4 line for the topping lift. It also illustrates an “optional” topping lift line running along the top of the port cabin towards the cockpit similar to how the halyards run on the other side.

I’m just wondering how it’s supposed to run and/or how other people like to run it before I go out and buy the wrong length of line. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I don't run my topping lift through the boom to the mast. The line is tied at the top and hangs down and terminates a couple feet above the end of the Boom. There is a sheave with a clamcleat there. A line tied to the end of the boom goes up over the sheave and into the jam cleat. That way I can adjust it standing in the cockpit at the end of the Boom. It wasn't my idea, it came that way when I bought the boat used, but it's worked well for me for 17 years now.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
Hi JDE, congrats on the new boat!
The 23.5 manual doesn't have a very good diagram for the boom rigging, but the 240 does. It is the same.
Boom Rigging.jpg

The topping lift is in two parts, the line you found already tied to the masthead, and a 1/4" line running thru the boom. The carabiner allows you to disconnect the mast and stow it down without having to pull the line out. The lift is adjusted at the base of the boom and the jammer used to secure. This is a little cludgy but it is the original design.

It doesn't sound like your boat came with the optional deck mounted topping lift, but if it did, there would be a mast entry on the left side of the mast near the base, a mast exit near the top, and a sheave just below the masthead.

masthead topping lift.jpg

-Z

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
I don't run my topping lift through the boom to the mast. The line is tied at the top and hangs down and terminates a couple feet above the end of the Boom. There is a sheave with a clamcleat there. A line tied to the end of the boom goes up over the sheave and into the jam cleat. That way I can adjust it standing in the cockpit at the end of the Boom. It wasn't my idea, it came that way when I bought the boat used, but it's worked well for me for 17 years now.
This sounds like a great setup, Rick. Do you have any pics?

I'm looking to modify my topping lift in the future to:
#1 - Make it easier to adjust from the cockpit
#2 - Free up a sheave at the end of the boom to use for a 2nd Reef.

-Z

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The line is tied at the top and hangs down and terminates a couple feet above the end of the Boom. There is a sheave with a clamcleat there.
Similar to Mr. Macdonald's setup, but starts at the becket, goes up to the sheave hanging a couple feet above the boom then back down to the block with becket, then forward along the boom to either a clam cleat on the boom or routed to the mast, down, out and back to cabin top.
topping lift.PNG

JDE

Jun 6, 2019
Hunter 23.5 As many as possible
Thank you for all the great answers. Sounds like my boat is rigged as designed with exception of the diameter of the rope.

I like the idea of being able to adjust the topping lift from cockpit. Better for soloing.

Am I correct in understanding that you leave the topping lift in place while under sail? That has some utility under certain circumstances I suppose, like keeping the boom off my bimini or sailing in light air.

Jun 2, 2004
I've attached some photos. Note another nice thing about this setup is that if you connect the topping lift to the end of the boom you can walk the boom out from down below, if that's where you happen to store it for the winter LOL.20190612_204926.jpg 20190612_205004.jpg 20190612_205037.jpg

Jun 2, 2004
I think all of the options discussed here are such that you just ease the topping lift enough that it doesn't hold the boom up but not too much that it flops around like crazy. Also, if you can cleat it with the slack in it, that will catch the boom if you drop the main and forget to harden the topping lift.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Am I missing something? The topping lift's purpose is to hold the boom when the sail isn't. The only time I adjust the topping lift is if I want a bit more head room on the cockpit. Mine is tied to the mast head and the end of the boom. Since the end of the boom is in the cockpit, this simple tied on lift allows adjustment when stopped with the main down from the cockpit without routing this static line all over the place. Simple is best. If I don't want to have the topping lift dragging behind the main while sailing, just untie from end of boom and tie to the mast while sailing. Since I do not race, the little drag from the lift left in place is negligible. I also do not have to remember to tie it back on before dropping the main.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
No I am a fair weather day sailor. However, I leave the topping lift in place while sailing so reefing would be no problem. I have never hove to but it is on my shakedown sailing for this weekend along with reefing. Was never able to get my Hunter 23.5 to hove to. Hoping that the Capri 22 will allow and behave so I have another arrow in my quiver to deal with the inevitable WTF moments.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ronstan V-Jam Cleaat (Series 29).jpg
This is used as boom vang block on smaller boats. It has a V jam in it. I use to put a shackle in the eye and then tie the line used for the topping lift thru the boom with a stopper knot at the gooseneck. I use to run the line behind the large block and around the smaller block with the topping lift exiting the V Jam. For safety I put a stopper knot after that so the boom would not fall into the cockpit. Cheap and easy to install which worked well for all the water ballast boats.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I've never seen one up close. With the main down at anchor or in a marina, what keeps the boom from swinging back and forth?
From what I have seen you center the mainsheet traveler and then tighten the sheet, same as if you had a topping lift. I don't have a boomkicker myself, but I wonder what you do if you want to raise the boom while in the cockpit for more headroom, in the absence of a topping lift.

Jun 8, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Lake MaBride
I use the end of the mainsheet to tie the midpoint of the mainsheet tackle to the stanchion at the bulkhead. This keeps it out of the way of the cabinway area and keeps it quiet. Headroom in the cockpit is then not an issue.