Top of the mast.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I’m putting a wind vane transducer on top of my mast. The transducer comes with cable to be run down the inside of the mast and the package includes a drill bit and a couple of sheet metal screws to secure the thing to the mast top. To cut to the chase, does anyone have a photo/description of the top of the mast on an O’Day 28? Don’t want to get up there and discover I need xyz drill, tap and screws. I’ve attached the best photo I have but which doesn’t tell me much. The dish on top is a tv antenna which is coming down.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
It looks like you might have a Kenyon spar, and looking through the Kenyon spars on the Rigrite website, perhaps a 3756. This link should show the possible masthead(s) which may give you an idea of what you will find.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You probably have a conduit inside the mast to run electrical. An owner could confirm. Your biggest problem may be feeding the new cable thru it. My point is, this may be a good off-season project when you can unstep the mast. A good opportunity to upgrade your anchor light too. I replaced all of the wiring while mine was down. Manuf don't use the best materials in production.
Just my $.02

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Thanks for the link, Sefuller. Now I know the make and model numbers but what I need is a photo so I can actually see it before climbing up. Justin-NSA (is that for National Security Agency?) My marina charges $150.00 for unstepping the mast and another $150 for putting it back. Plus I have to do everything but attach the strap and operate the crane. My mast is keel stepped. Much easier to climb up, inspect everything and do the work. There is a tv antenna on top of the mast, the round dinner plate kind of thing in the photo. I’m taking that off and will cut and use the cable to pull the new cable through the mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks for the link, Sefuller. Now I know the make and model numbers but what I need is a photo so I can actually see it before climbing up. Justin-NSA (is that for National Security Agency?) My marina charges $150.00 for unstepping the mast and another $150 for putting it back. Plus I have to do everything but attach the strap and operate the crane. My mast is keel stepped. Much easier to climb up, inspect everything and do the work. There is a tv antenna on top of the mast, the round dinner plate kind of thing in the photo. I’m taking that off and will cut and use the cable to pull the new cable through the mast.
Yeah. it's not cheap if you have to hire help. I've only done it once and I touched everything from top to bottom to get my money's worth: all new wiring for new LED anchor, steaming and deck lights. Resealed leaking deck wiring feed-thru. Mine is deck stepped.
What are you using to go aloft?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I believe it's for the NonSuch Association, right @Justin_NSA ?
Nothing that clever. It's Ninnescah Sailing Assoc. We used to be Ninnescah Yacht Club but decided to maintain a lower profile after some trouble with a local a-hole politician. That's the story I heard.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Justin-NSA, I have an ATN Mastclimber and I’ve never used it before. It appears from the advertising that it is something you can use solo but I wouldn’t attempt it without a safety line and a second person on a winch with that line. I have a harness to attach the safety line. I’ll let you know how it goes.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
I like my ATN Mastclimber. Works good solo, I use another halyard with a prusik loop for a safety, but always good to have an observer to run interference should the unexpected happen.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
When my son climbs mine (see what I did there) I rig him with a simple pulley and long tag line on his harness. That way I can hoist him need tools in a canvas bucket as needed. It keeps him from climbing with tool and dropping said tools. I've also had him fly our done up close to it to get a good look/see.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
i lost pictures of the top, but it is a simple casting with bump on one side for the anchor light. Originally intended for two external halyards, I now have 5 lines at the top, two main, two jib. Do you have a masthead crane (spinnaker block)? Good opportunity for that control to be added also. I did find a CAD sketch:
1569926719098.png

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Well, after standing on deck staring at the top of the mast while getting dizzy (and my mast isn’t nearly as tall as some others in the marina) I had a local marina send it’s mechanics to climb the mast. My marina doesn’t provide mechanics. $95 per hour for two hours was well worth it for me. They removed the inoperative tv antenna and used that cable to pull the wind transducer cable through the mast. They also drilled and tapped the holes for screws. Oh, the guy at the top of the mast has done this many times. He said the fixture on top of the mast is cast aluminum, not sheet metal. Thank you all for your replies.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well, after standing on deck staring at the top of the mast while getting dizzy (and my mast isn’t nearly as tall as some others in the marina) I had a local marina send it’s mechanics to climb the mast. My marina doesn’t provide mechanics. $95 per hour for two hours was well worth it for me.
Well where's the fun in that! :biggrin: