Top it up and hope????

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My Honda 2.3 dink OB was attached to the stern pulpit and during the storm somehow managed to do an almost upside down deal, still not clear how, but oil was dripping out of it when I got to it after 2 days. The clear window shows that the engine oil is low (or out maybe). There was some oil on the boat, on the cloth motor cover and in the water, so who knows how much of the 1/4 liter is left. My question is how likely is it the oil followed a path that might have caused damage? Top it up and fire it up or beware of something?

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Was it under water?

It should be fine but to be thorough (and it wasn't submerged) you could top it up, pull the spark plug and crank it a bit. This will clear fluid from the cylinder and prevent hydraulic damage. Install clean plug and let 'er rip.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just to be sure, replace the oil as well and then follow @srimes 's suggestions.

Had the same thing happen to a 2.5 Merc years ago and got away with no damage when the engine was dismantled later that winter. I think running for several hours after the initial cleaning helps.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Was it under water?

It should be fine but to be thorough (and it wasn't submerged) you could top it up, pull the spark plug and crank it a bit. This will clear fluid from the cylinder and prevent hydraulic damage. Install clean plug and let 'er rip.
No, not under water at all fortunately, just almost inverted foe some days. I see your logic, assume oil got into the plug area, so remove the plugs like doing a winter layup and pull starter cord a few times, right?

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
If you go that route I’d suggest changing the oil after a brief warm up a couple times to flush out any water lurking in passages.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
No, not under water at all fortunately, just almost inverted foe some days. I see your logic, assume oil got into the plug area, so remove the plugs like doing a winter layup and pull starter cord a few times, right?
:thumbup: you got it. If there is oil in the combustion chamber you'll see it on the plug, which may not fire unless cleaned. And it'll smoke when you start it. Run it until it's good and warm to burn it off and you're good to go.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Thanks, fellas, sounds like a plan. Could have been worse. Lost one overboard a few years back and never found it.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
They say the oil goes where it shouldn't be if you lay the engine down wrong, but I can't imagine where that could be besides the cylinder. So yea, pull the plug and crank a few times to blow it out.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Yes, I also cannot imagine inside the cylinder, but will blow her out anyway by cranking.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Well, spark plug was nice and dry, but gave a few pulls with it out anyway. It took a lot of oil to fill the level window, so I guess most leaked out, where I do not know. Good idea to keep upright or on the side Honda recommends.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Well, spark plug was nice and dry, but gave a few pulls with it out anyway. It took a lot of oil to fill the level window, so I guess most leaked out, where I do not know. Good idea to keep upright or on the side Honda recommends.
Nice. So did it start right up?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Don't know yet. Rarely use the motor and don't fuel it until I do. Will report when i do.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Well " the big run up" (ha ha) today and nothing. 20 pulls, fresh fuel. Never fired and no smell of fuel at all gives me a hint where that damn oil went, right into the carb. Off to the OB repair I guess.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Getting back from the "Doctor" later today. Cleaned up, cleared out carb and put in a new spark plug, which my inspection suggested not an issue. All for "only" $179, but there is a waiting line well into Sept at the first place I called so I am not complaining.