Top Down Furler

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Catalina 275 Sport 1 San Francisco
I am starting to have a little problem unfurling, as a few other owners have noted. It seems that the sail back raps when furling which causes it to hang up when unfurling. I thought that I might get some input from other owners. My head is over one foot from the top of the mast when hardened and the luff of my spinnaker is two feet longer than the AT cable. Is that common on other C275's

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Seems to me the spinnaker luff should not be longer than the luff extension. Perhaps your local sail loft can cut it back. You might find posts 33 - 39 in the first thread helpful on how to mitigate back wrapping and the second thread helpful.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019
C&C 30. MK1 715 Lake Norman
Make sure that the set screw in the line guide is tighten and in the correct position. It fixed the problem for me.
The head of my sail is very close to the top swivel and it hoists to the top of the mast. The luff of my sail is also longer than the AT cable, I don't think thats an issue.

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Thanks Steve, I am considering replacing my AT cable with one a foot longer and your input is helpful.

Mar 11, 2014
I found the back wrapping an issue for any but the flatter Zeros. Don't have the problem with them. But they have a captive luff vs the free flying asyms. Seems the camber is what gets caught with the asyms. I even tried putting a set of whiffle golf balls along the AT line, that helps a bit as the rotate on the AT line but only on the smaller asym...

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
I found the back wrapping an issue for any but the flatter Zeros. Don't have the problem with them. But they have a captive luff vs the free flying asyms. Seems the camber is what gets caught with the asyms. I even tried putting a set of whiffle golf balls along the AT line, that helps a bit as the rotate on the AT line but only on the smaller asym...
Thanks Drew. Do you think that if I had a spinnaker that was smaller and used a tack adapter to harden when furling that would solve the problem, or is it the girth of the sail that is causing the problem?

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks Drew. Do you think that if I had a spinnaker that was smaller and used a tack adapter to harden when furling that would solve the problem, or is it the girth of the sail that is causing the problem?
IMO its the Girth as I have 2 zeros and 2 Asyms and a Triradial. Never have the problem with the Zeros and the smallest flattest of the Asyms. Never tried the Big asym as it's luff is longer than the AT line, the Tri happens all the time with out fail... I've tried the tack adaptor and I gave up on that as it gets in the way and creates its own wrap problem