Toolbox for underway

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
I started thinking it would be a good idea to have a tool box on board our H285 for emergency repair. Like being able to purge the fuel lines if I had accidentally run out of diesel and used my 5 gal spare. Or to repair a packing gland leak, or electrical problem, or change a belt or putting on a spare hose, and so on.

But to have every tool makes for a heavy and large box. So, has anyone worked up a list of tools needed excluding wrenches that don't fit anything and including duplicates when needed?

Are there opinions about the tool box itself, waterproof? Or boxes and a place to store them?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I started thinking it would be a good idea to have a tool box on board our H285 for emergency repair. Like being able to purge the fuel lines if I had accidentally run out of diesel and used my 5 gal spare. Or to repair a packing gland leak, or electrical problem, or change a belt or putting on a spare hose, and so on.

But to have every tool makes for a heavy and large box. So, has anyone worked up a list of tools needed excluding wrenches that don't fit anything and including duplicates when needed?

Are there opinions about the tool box itself, waterproof? Or boxes and a place to store them?
There was a thread about this a few months ago.. do a search and you should be able to find it...

Other than basic hand tools?... There are so many variables as to what you would ever need as there are ideas of what you could/should carry...

If i had a big enough boat i would want my welder, torches, plasma cutter, 5t chain com-a-long, table saw, router... extra wood and metal for any repairs or ideas that crop up and this is in addition to all the other tools that i have... maybe even a golf cart to get from one end of the boat to the other...

See what i mean?... where does one stop when they are packing tools aboard. (Or kitchen untensils, clothing and/or other creature comforts)

Small boats dont need to carry as much as big boats, and bay cruisers dont need as much as coastal cruisers.... boats cruising thru the middle of the ocean should carry items they wont find out there if they are ever needed...

Look at the systems you have and the remotness of the area you are traveling in/thru and figure out what tools you would need to jury rig it to get somewhere where you could get some real help... load those tools into your already well prepared/maintained boat and take the best care in all conditions and hope that you never need to use them.

Basic hand tools... screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, crescent wrench, vise grips, hammer... and if you have any electrival on the boat whatsoever, wiring supplies/strippercutters... and a multimeter, and know how to use it.

Some people dont think of the multimeter as a "basic" tool that they should carry, and mostly because they dont really know/understand how to use it.... but it really is one of the basic tools that should be in the tool kit of every boat that has any form of electrical included in its systems.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Great idea...I'd suggest

A metric combination wrench set
A n American combination wrench set
A screwdriver set
A plier set
A vice grip set
A ratchet set (metric and American)
Lineman an dyke players
A hammer
A hack saw blade and small handle

All available from Harbor freight. For a total of less than $125. Not the best tools but the you won't get to upset when the get rusty or fall overboard.

A basin wrench for the shaft packing ( get 2)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like other have noted, you are not the first person to think of this.

It really depends on where you sail, what breaks, and what is the cost of not being able to fix it is while underway.

Sailing a lake on a 28 footer, you really just need a small tool kit. On our smaller boat on Lake Minnetonka, we're used the West Marine set ($50 on sale) for years and its worked fine.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
If I was starting out from scratch, I might get this set from Wallmart

Stanley 123-Piece Black Chrome Socket Set, STMT72254 $49.97

And maybe this screwdriver set from Home Depot

Husky Screwdriver Set (10-Piece)

Then, a hammer, several sizes of crescent wrench, some vise grip pliers, a pair of diagonal cutters, needle nose pliers, and a good razor knife with spare blades.

Also spray cans of PB Blaster, and Ultralube along with a tube of Sililube, come in really handy.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
If you are looking for power tools, and 18-20V cordless impact driver with screw tips, socket adapters, and a chuck for holding regular bits will do most of the drilling/driving you could want to do on a boat.

Impact Driver Many Brands avaialable

Keyless drill chuck for impact driver

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
And after you have the tools don't forget spare parts and components like shackles, circlips, lubricants, adhesives, cotter pins, screws nuts and bolts, sealants, light bulbs, tape, filters, a small mirror and a flashlight.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I have a soft tool bag with a carry strap but am thinking of going to a tool backpack since you can stow it more easily.

As for being waterproof just get a nice large dry bag. We have one and it is great when using the dinghy etc. as it keeps spare clothes and our electronics dry even if we have to swim to shore. ( one with a carry handle is preferred)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
And after you have the tools don't forget spare parts and components like shackles, circlips, lubricants, adhesives, cotter pins, screws nuts and bolts, sealants, light bulbs, tape, filters, a small mirror and a flashlight.
I like headlamps.

Great for hands free work below decks, and also good for night sailing.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
This probably won't help but I have kept track of what tools I have need both at the dock and underway and my Leatherman multitool has taken care of about ninety percent of my repair needs. But I like Pateco's comments--I like a headlamp because it seems that most of my lockers are dark. So a Leatherman and a headlamp....all you need.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
to have every tool makes for a heavy and large box. So, has anyone worked up a list of tools needed excluding wrenches that don't fit anything and including duplicates when needed?

I keep my tools and supplies in clear rubbermaid totes that are stackable.

I have 3 boxes of tools, but in my tool box that is easily accessable and I am into all the time, i carry metric wrenches 8, 10, 12, 13, 14.. sae wrenches 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16... and one each 6" and 10" crescent wrenchs. needle nose pliers and needle nose vise grips... regular pliers and regular vise grips... 4 sizes of flat screwdrivers (the biggest which can be used as a prybar), and two sizes of phillips drivers, and one driver with changeable bits... a knife, wire pliers, 2 sizes of wire cutters, (small one for electrical work and a large one for cutting tie wire or larger cable ties)... a 1/4" socket set and a 3/8" socket set....

then there are the supplies that will be needed anytime the tool box comes out...