Too much rust?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I wouldn't put my bicycle on that trailer one good bump and the springs will tear off that thing!
Edit: @Gi49336 Hope you don't take offense to the responses thus far, but seriously if you were to attempt towing anything on that trailer you could easily end up losing what ever is on the trailer and you may well hurt someone who had the unfortunate timing to be in the way of the failure.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You're getting a free trailer because someone doesn't want to pay to take it to the scrap yard.:) Pass on it or get them to give you a $100 to haul it off.

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
I am a sucker for trying to fix old stuff up. And I have successfully repaired a few things over the years that most people would have given up on.
To your credit, you asked before you made any mistakes. Having said that......let it go. There is probably no amount of work that will make that thing safe for the road. And even if there was, it would be far more cost effective to just get a different trailer.
You dont ever want that feeling while driving, that a trailer in that shape will give you when you see it catastrophically failing at 55mph.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is one thing to clean up "SURFACE RUST". They say "Beauty is skin deep but RUST goes clear to the bone." That is one ugly rusted frame. No way to recover. You'd need to cut the frame out and weld a whole new angle iron into the frame. Then you'd still have a rusty old frame with a new angle iron attached.

Keep searching.