Toilet paper

May 28, 2020
Hunter 36 Vision West Vancouver
Marine toilet paper used on a sailboat? Or household toilet paper used on a sailboat? Your thoughts please. With a marine holding tank and macerator.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We never put anything in the toilet that we haven't eaten first. We have a garbage can with a top in every head and everything except urine and excrement goes in there and is disposed of with the other garbage.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
We have used household single ply toilet paper in our Raritan manual head for 20 years and never had a problem. I would not use two ply paper though.
I think capta has a lot of guests though and those are the times you have to be extra careful. Either explain the fact that they need to go easy with the paper or use the trash can method if you don't trust them.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
We have used household single ply toilet paper in our Raritan manual head for 20 years and never had a problem.
No problems even when somebody goes overboard and stuffs the bowl with paper. Make sure the pile is fully wetted and leave for 1/2 hour. The paper fibres will dissociate enough to enable the whole thing to flush.

After that, ensure that the guilty party only goes over the transom just to remind them.:ass:.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Type toilet paper in the search box, and read away. Really.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I use some quick dissolve paper I picked up at Walmart. Not necessarily just for marine...probably sold for RV’s, so half the price of marine TP :poop:

I just have a Raritan manual flush and a holding tank. Have not had a problem.

Greg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have used single and multiple ply household TP for almost 35 years. Never had a problem. Also never bought the over-price "marine" TP. The only problem I have ever had was when a guest put a cleansing wipe in the bowl. Our electric macerating Raritan did not like that at all. Verbal and written warnings went up at once. Never re-occurred. :D

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Marine toilet paper used on a sailboat? Or household toilet paper used on a sailboat? Your thoughts please. With a marine holding tank and macerator.
I’m trying to figure out
1. What a “marine holding tank” is and
2. Why that entered into any decision about toilet paper.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Charter co that I chartered with for about 6 years had Jabsco manual flush heads on their boats. They always instructed new clients to use no more than a length of paper that measured approximately from elbow to wrist. The only problems they had were with charterers that put paper towels or female sanitary products in the bowl. Macerator pump wasnt used much because you had to be 9 miles off the Florida coast to dump the holding tank.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Electric macerating head has no problem with regular household TP...And breakdown chems in the tank help with the tank emptying....

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
As long as you use quick-dissolve TP, there's no reason not to flush it...just don't even THINK of flushing a wet wipe down any toilet on boat. However, an "overload" of any TP can clog any toilet...but as long as it is the "quick dissolve" kind, don't panic...just wait an hour and try flushing again. By then it will have dissolved enough to go right on through.

I’m trying to figure out 1. What a “marine holding tank” is and 2. Why that entered into any decision about toilet paper.
A marine holding tank , aka "black water" tank, is where toilet flushes have to go to be held for pumpout at a marina pumpout facility. Because people who use toilets onboard and everywhere else, almost always need to use toilet paper, and because most marine toilets can only handle TP that dissolves quickly, discusions about the use of TP in marine toilets helps to prevent problems that are caused by flushing TP that's too strong to dissolve quickly in the tank...IF it doesn't clog the toilet pump or the plumbing to the tank.

--Peggie

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Trash can with a lid near the toilet. More than half the worlds population does it this way at home. I'm always amazed that the same people that have no problem picking up their dogs sh%# with an inverted plastic bag have a problem with the trash can idea.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We have a PHII. If you really load the toilet up, use half strokes to help prevent clogs.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As long as you use quick-dissolve TP, there's no reason not to flush it...just don't even THINK of flushing a wet wipe down any toilet on boat. However, an "overload" of any TP can clog any toilet...but as long as it is the "quick dissolve" kind, don't panic...just wait an hour and try flushing again. By then it will have dissolved enough to go right on through.

A marine holding tank , aka "black water" tank, is where toilet flushes have to go to be held for pumpout at a marina pumpout facility. Because people who use toilets onboard and everywhere else, almost always need to use toilet paper, and because most marine toilets can only handle TP that dissolves quickly, discusions about the use of TP in marine toilets helps to prevent problems that are caused by flushing TP that's too strong to dissolve quickly in the tank...IF it doesn't clog the toilet pump or the plumbing to the tank.

--Peggie
Seriously? You think, after all these years, you would know that I know that.
My question was Socratic - what other kind of holding tank on a boat is not a ‘marine’ tank?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Fast dissolving TP in our Raritan electric head as already mentioned. What hasn't been mentioned is that for $10 you can buy a hand held bidet bottle you fill with water at the sink. This weird little thing has cut our TP use way down. Leaves more room in the tank for the important stuff.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
over-price "marine" TP
Scott Rapid-Dissolving Toilet Paper, 8 Rolls, Bath Tissue for RV & Boats - just under a buck a roll at Wal-Mart. The cheapest single ply household stuff is about 75¢ a roll, so the marginal cost for the "marine" stuff is negligible.