Tohatsu Sailpro 6 on a Mac 26S

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
This is information I was trying to find when I was looking for a motor so I just wanted to put it out there for others who come along later. I bought a used Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp for $500 in very nice/new shape. I finally got to use it the other day on a lake with no wind, no mast up and water ballast full, four adults on board, and it pushed us at 6 knots. I ran it over an hour and it used hardly any gas, I was very impressed with it. Video link-

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Our 26S had a 5hp Nissan when we bought her used. It was fine but the Admiral wanted more power should a storm pop up and we need to get back against the wind. We bought a 9.9 Merc and she was satisfied. I think your 6hp is adequate. And lighter!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have the same O.B. and LOVE it. It also has a 6 Amp alternator, starts on the first pull and it is light enough that I can carry it with one arm. And I can get 6 knots at 2/3 throttle.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I have the same O.B. and LOVE it. It also has a 6 Amp alternator, starts on the first pull and it is light enough that I can carry it with one arm. And I can get 6 knots at 2/3 throttle.
Yes, I love the weight factor too because I'm trailering mine everywhere (some electric-only lakes) and having to switch between my 48LB thrust trolling motor (yet untested) and the gas Tohatsu and being light sure makes it a lot easier. I forgot to put the mating plug on my motor for charging the other day while I had it out for the first time, next time I'll get to that. Yeah, easy one pull starts, love that!

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
Our 26S had a 5hp Nissan when we bought her used. It was fine but the Admiral wanted more power should a storm pop up and we need to get back against the wind. We bought a 9.9 Merc and she was satisfied. I think your 6hp is adequate. And lighter!
How fast can your 9.9 push? Mine came with a late 70's 9.9 merc that ran but would've need an overhaul to be able to *rely* on it. For only $500 I couldn't pass on the 6hp, it would've cost at least that to have the old 9.9 gone over anyway.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
How fast can your 9.9 push? Mine came with a late 70's 9.9 merc that ran but would've need an overhaul to be able to *rely* on it. For only $500 I couldn't pass on the 6hp, it would've cost at least that to have the old 9.9 gone over anyway.
Not past hull speed. Same as your 6hp I imagine. The 9.9 just had more grunt to get it there against the forces of nature.