tohatsu oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2011
1974 Macgregor 22 SoCal - dry storage
I need to do an oil change on my 6 hp 4 stroke tohatu, I can't seem to find the drain hole, the users manual has an over simplified drawing(it shows it's on the starboard size when mounted on the transom), can anyone give some pointers? I only have this stock photo for now

Attachments

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
I have the 8 hp model, 2004. The drain plug on mine is located on the starboard side about a fully extended hand length down from the bottom of the engine cover. It's a six sided bolt head affair. Hope this helps!

Jul 20, 2011
I have the 8 hp model, 2004. The drain plug on mine is located on the starboard side about a fully extended hand length down from the bottom of the engine cover. It's a six sided bolt head affair. Hope this helps!
can't seem to find a six sided bolt.

I took pictures of the outboard and marked the spot where I think could be it. are they the right spot? any help will be appreciated. thx

Attachments

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
I downloaded the manual for your motor and it shows the drain plug on the steering handle side of the motor just below the cover and just below the oil check stick located insde the cover. It's a drawing and there is no detail of what the head of the plug looks like, just a line pointing to where it is. In relation to the boat if mounted on the transom, the drain plug according to the drawing would be located on the port side of the motor behind where the handle attaches and perhaps a little lower than the handle attachment.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
It is aft of the one in your first picture with a washer under it.

Download the parts manual....

http://www.nissanoutboardparts.com/...talog NSF4B-5B-6B (2005) - (002N21046-4) .pdf

...and look at pages 15 and 16 and see it that doesn't help. I think the link is for the 5 hp, but the 4,5 and 6 are all the same engine, different carb. Or go here....

http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/Parts-Books.html

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
It's the silver one that is slightly offset between the two painted mounting bolts to the left in your first picture.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
I have a brand new Tohatsu 6HP "Sail Pro" motor, and haven't got my boat wet yet :redface: so changing the oil hasn't been an issue for me yet. But there ya go: one more instance where this group has provided valuable information I'll no-doubt need in the future. Way to go, guys! Many thanks! :clap::clap::clap:

VBR,

Pat

Jul 20, 2011
I have a brand new Tohatsu 6HP "Sail Pro" motor, and haven't got my boat wet yet :redface: so changing the oil hasn't been an issue for me yet. But there ya go: one more instance where this group has provided valuable information I'll no-doubt need in the future. Way to go, guys! Many thanks! :clap::clap::clap:

VBR,

Pat
same here. thanks for all the great help!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Hmm, okay. Looking at my .pdf manual (4 horse 4 stroke), it looks like it says my drain is located about 180 degrees from the originally assumed bolt. Rotate the head counterclockwise (as seen from above) and look for a protrusion with a bolt.:redface: Perhaps I'll change my oil someday, too.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
umm, could the drain be someplace else? I unscrewed this and no oil came out, not even one drop. I also unscrew the dip stick to provide ventilation.
Hmm, okay. Looking at my .pdf manual (4 horse 4 stroke), it looks like it says my drain is located about 180 degrees from the originally assumed bolt. Rotate the head counterclockwise (as seen from above) and look for a protrusion with a bolt.:redface: Perhaps I'll change my oil someday, too.
Yep, I got off my butt and went and looked at our 5 HP Nissan and you are right, the drain hole they show in the parts manual doesn't go anywhere. I think there was a change somewhere along the line.

Here is where it is on ours....

.... and a close-up...

It takes a 10 mm socket/wrench and be ready for a lot of oil to come out, ask me how I know. I fumbled getting the drain bolt right back in and had to add oil to the the engine and then slightly overfilled it :redface:. Check the level with the dip stick screwed back in according to manual.

If you overfill or don't want to pull the plug the way I got some back out was I had a coil of clear plastic hose and put it down the hole and sucked on the other end until I had enough oil out. Suck some out, put your finger on the end you are sucking on and put the oil end in a container and blow the oil out. The engine doesn't hold much, so you could change the oil this way. At boat yards where they don't want oil spillage they use a suction pump and you could also go that way.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 20, 2011
thanks to everyone's help, you guys have been great.

I think sucking out the oil with a squeeze pump is a good idea, I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Oops my bad, that's where the cooling flush fitting goes. :doh:I use a bucket to flush instead. Guess it's time to change my ol if I forgot that. :redface: Haven't been out on the boat much lately, between breaking the wife's new horse to saddle and setting the Push up for autocross.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
thanks to everyone's help, you guys have been great.

I think sucking out the oil with a squeeze pump is a good idea, I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Personally I would still prefer to drain the oil as I feel you are going to get more out vs. sucking it out. I mentioned that as the pumps are popular with the mechanics at boat yards as then they don't have to worry about spills so much.

If the boat is in the water and you are doing it there then the pump would be a good way to go or if the motor is on the boat and it is on the trailer that might also be good, but if the motor is off the boat I'd drain it,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jul 20, 2011
worked on the outboard before going to work this morning. it turned out easier than i thought after i gathered the right tool. I used a rachet extension to extend beyond the engine head so turning the screw became much easier. Also I backed out the screw ever so slowly that once I saw oil started rushing out, I held the screw in place to control the flow so no mess was made.

Next, I need to awake the engine. I believe I need to squirt some oil into the cylinder first. Can it be the 10w-30 oil I'm filling, or a mix of 2-stroke oil and gas(what ratio?).

thanks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The EPA loves ya'! Usually, some oil (no gas) is introduced into the cylinder when storing the engine for long-ish periods, after running the carburetor dry of gas. Not sure what you mean by "awake" the engine? When returning the engine to service, a little gasoline squirted into the combustion chamber will cut through the oil you'd left in there previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.