Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury Friction Lock Up-Grade

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
If you'll look in my albums under my profile, I have added photos and a description on how I corrected the friction lock issue on my Tohatsu Sail-Pro.

I can tell you the modification I came up to correct the ineffective steering friction lock issue on my new Tohatsu 6 HP Sail-Pro has been very successful I believe. After I installed the modification we motored for 4 hours from the ramp to the slip at our friends home, and the outboard remained in the position I had her pointed. Most recently we attended the C-22 Fall Cruise. We did a lot of motoring, probably 80% or more of the 118 miles we covered during the week cruise, and the engine remained in her adjusted position. We now have over 80 hours on the engine, and I believe the modification has been a success.

When you look at the album, the photos appear first, followed by the write up and the corresponding photo number.

Don

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Thanks Don. I hope to do this "fix" over the holidays. And maybe install that cool hour meter too!

- Bob

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks Don. I hope to do this "fix" over the holidays. And maybe install that cool hour meter too!

- Bob
Bob,

There will be an article, (and many more), on the tach/hour meter installation in the Jan-Feb 2017 MainBrace that will come out the first of the year.

Here are a couple photos taken recently during the C-22 Fall Cruise. Due to the lack of wind, we're motor-sailing along nicely making 5.5 - 6 knots out on the Gulf. I'm at my usual station with the boat on autopilot, (but with my handy-dandy wireless remote for the autopilot around my neck). With the outboard secured, we're just enjoying a beautiful calm day out on the Gulf.

Don
2016 Y-KNOT MOTOR SAILING.jpg
Y-KNOT FALL CRUISE 2016.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Don,
Which autopilot has a remote? I am curious now. That sounds pretty sweet! Do I see your anchor road ran back to the cockpit? Or is that a downhaul for the headsail?

Thanks
Sam

Nov 19, 2008
Don,
Which autopilot has a remote? I am curious now. That sounds pretty sweet! Do I see your anchor road ran back to the cockpit? Or is that a downhaul for the headsail?

Thanks
Sam
Sam,

I've had experience with both the Raymarine ST1000 and the ST2000. Both are more than capable of normally steering the boat, however, I found the ST1000 was too slow to maintain the boat on course in a following sea condition, and the autopilot would be slamming lock to lock and the boat was quickly out of control. The ST2000 is roughly twice as fast, and maintains the boat on course regardless of sea state that we've experienced. The wireless remote was from a guy down in Argentina that sells them on eBay. At around $400 for the Raymarine wireless remote, I could live without one, (maybe), but I bought the one off eBay for $125. over 4 years ago and it's worked very well. It's really spoiled me, and I can't imagine sailing without one anymore. This allows me to turn the boat into the wind while I'm on the cabin top and pull the main down. We enjoy long distance runs, and not having to man the tiller just makes the journey much more enjoyable. I've gotten so spoiled that with the exception of the first couple hundred yards after getting underway, of making our final approach into the slip, or anchorage, 95% of the time we're on autopilot. Any of the Raymarine autopilots can be used with a remote, it's all about interfacing I guess with their "sea-talk" network.

Now everytime I mention using my autopilot on any of the web sites, I'm inundated with comments how well everyone's "tiller-tamer" or bungee cords work, let's just say, been there, done that, and I've filled the mounting holes on my tiller, I just didn't achieve the same miraculous results most folks have evidently experienced.

No anchor line leading to the cockpit, I can usually guide the boat to where I want to drop the anchor standing forward with my remote, or my wife will be sitting upfront and will release the anchor and tie it off. So you probably see the downhaul for the jib, or most likely, one of the bow dock lines.

Don

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My Simrad TP22 Tiller pilot recommends sailing to TRUE wind angle on down wind, with following sea, points of sail. If steering a compass course, there is a sea state adjustment to keep the device from over correcting in these conditions.
My old Autohelm 1000 would not do that and it was essentially useless sailing any course below below 120 TWA... or 90 AWA.

Jan 13, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Panama City, Florida
Thanks for the great idea. I also have a 6hp SailPro. Mine actually has the "Nissan" logo on the cover. I will be installing this mod posthaste as I recently spend a miserable couple of hours babysitting the motor while we traversed St. Andrew bay in rough water/gusty winds.

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
This is a warranty issue. Mine had 10 hrs on it when it broke. Anyone interested in a class action suit to get a recall. My was repaired under warranty.

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
It looks like the photos in CaptDon's album have gone missing. Does anyone have a photo or description of the steering lock fix?