Tohatsu Charging

DocMB

Nov 12, 2006
- - Ft. Monroe, Va
I have a 2019 6hp Tohatsu Sail Pro with the optional battery charging option. I have the original wires (battery cable) running from the alternator to charge the battery. Can I run those wires directly to my deep cycle battery, or do I need some type of electronic protection/regulator to protect the battery or alternator. Thanks in advance!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Direct to battery, motor alternator has a voltage regulator on it.

DocMB

Nov 12, 2006
- - Ft. Monroe, Va
Thanks very much. I hoped that was the case, but couldn't find it anywhere, in their literature or otherwise.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yes, you can connect the sailpro output directly to a battery. That is what it was designed for.

Keep in mind that the tohatsu sailpro's power output is very low. It only puts out it's rating at full throttle.

We didn't run the motor much, and even then, at half throttle or less...

Our 100 watt solar panel was a much better option.

So much so, that I eventually stopped bothering to connect the sailpro output when I remounted the motor each spring.

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I had the same experience as Leeward Rail. I just run the Tohatsu 6 for 15-20 min at less than half throttle to get out and in the marina. I does practically nothing for charging the battery. The solar panel is much better.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The output from the output varies with the motor speed, the primary purpose is to recharge the battery after starting with an electric start and powering navigation lights. I think they put out around 5 amps at max RPM.