Tohatsu 5hp 4-stroke dies

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Can't get E0 gas in the NYC area. Nearest available is 80 miles north. One Sunoco station in NJ sells racing fuel. 100 octane and $10 per gallon. Stabilized gas seems to work OK, mostly. Erratic idle and occasionally need to choke while running to get enough gas through the clogged jets. Plan to pull the engine apart over the winter if I find the time between skiing trips.
I buy the stuff from a place on Long Island out in Port Jefferson. They sell quart cans, however you can also fill your portable tank $$$$. I put 1 gallon in the tank at end of the season each year and run that through before storage. Rest of time I used regular (high test) treated gas. Seams to be working so far......

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As noted above, I have a 2000 model of the Tohatsu 5 hp which I’ve used frequently over its life so far. It’s been to the bottom @ 15 ft since my post above. Nowadays, I have it serviced at a Tohatsu authorized when it starts to get “cranky.” This last time, I had the water impeller & zinc replaced. It’s on its 2nd carburetor.

E10 gasoline is not good for it. Service guys recommend stabilizer in the gas. I’ve used formula. It’s great, but service guys recommend against it, etc.

Basically, if the gas in the tank is older than two weeks, it goes into the car and I get fresh for the trip out. Change fuel filter regularly. Run the carburetor dry each time before it sits overnight. However, this just slows down the inevitable buildup of junk in the carburetor and jets. I’ve never liked this engine:wahwah:—my first 4-stroke.

Last edited: