toe rail still leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Vranum

We had many leaks at the toe rail on our 1984 h37-c. We went around and tightened all the bolts (thanks for the advice on how to reach them, Walt), but the leaks did not go away. Anyone have any suggestions before we take the toe rail off and re-bed?? Also, if anyone has re-bed the toe rail we would appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
are you sure?

Peter: Are you sure that the leak is comming in from the toe rail. Sometimes water travels in strange and unexplainable ways. Not sure where the leak is but you may want to try to isolate the area before you tackle that job.

A

Alan J

LEAKS!

I also sail a 37C and have not had any toe rail leaks but the one leak I had was traced to water entering under the screw heads of the foward hatch. Took a while to trace. Removed the screws, rebedded and put caulk in the acrew holes before installing screws

E

Ed Schenck

Where exactly?

We are in the process of crawling in and around to tighten all the toerail bolts. Where are you seeing signs of water ingress? Were you able to reach every bolt without taking anything apart? Am thinking about an additional locknut on every third or fourth bolt. Sealing the toerail would be very time consuming but not technically difficult. Spin each nut down at least 1.5 inches, that should give you room to get the sealant around each bolt hole.

E

ES

Test for Leaks

Use the exaust side of a shop vac to pressurize the boat and use soapy water to find the leak.

B

Blaise Pierson

toe rial leaks

Take the toe rails off and rebed. It isn't that hard and solved all my problems.

T

TOM MANALILI

Leaks are no mystery, water and gravity= stained p

You can smear 5200 along any flange area, but the water is still present, before drawing the thru bolts down, with a IV or IM serenge, shoow the goop, into the hols on the threads and around the base,contact surface, of bolt, but don't draw the bolt entirely, down to squeeze out the goop, wait a day until it's firm then do you torquing.

Status
Not open for further replies.