Toe Rail Screw/Bolts

Jul 4, 2019
C&C 29 Long Beach, NY
Long time reader, first time poster... Hoping for some advise.

Im currently restoring a 1977 C&C 29. I was securing and sealing the toe rail and happened to snap one of the screw/bolts. I have been looking around online and haven’t been successful finding these.

Does anyone know where I may be able to get my hands on a couple of these? The nut is an 11mm and the bolt head is actually a Phillips screw head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It looks something like the pic belo.

TJ
S/V Legacy

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
When you say that the nut is 11mm, do you mean that the hex measures 11mm across the flats? If so, then it is probably a 1/4"-20 or 1/4"-28 thread nut that takes a 7/16" wrench.

That type of screw is known as a flat head cap screw. The most common grade for marine use is 18-8, but sometimes you also find 304 (same thing) or 316 (slightly better alloy).

When measuring the length of a flat head cap screw, you measure the whole length, including the head height. This is different from hex head cap screws or pan head cap screws, or socket head cap screws, where you only measure whats under the head.

Everyone from Ace Hardware to Home Depot should stock those screws & nuts. They are common.

Jul 4, 2019
C&C 29 Long Beach, NY
I checked Ace. Must not have had the right guy. He looked at me like I was crazy. I’ll head back and ask again. Thanks for taking the time!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
1977 was before Canada went metric so any SAE stainless flat head machine screw of the right diameter would work. Fine threads ( 1/4-28 or 10-32) are less prone to vibration.

Jan 6, 2019
Hunter & C&C 27 and 26 South Portland
Long time reader, first time poster... Hoping for some advise.

Im currently restoring a 1977 C&C 29. I was securing and sealing the toe rail and happened to snap one of the screw/bolts. I have been looking around online and haven’t been successful finding these.

Does anyone know where I may be able to get my hands on a couple of these? The nut is an 11mm and the bolt head is actually a Phillips screw head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It looks something like the pic belo.

TJ
S/V Legacy
Try Fastenal.