Toe rail refurbish - making it black again

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

I've been restoring my '79 30' and last detail that looks old is the anodized black toe rail. It looks a discolored grey. Any thoughts on how to bring it back to original appearance?

S

stephen

compond

I HAVE A 81 30 AND IT HAD THE SAME THING I USED COMPOND AND IT TURNED BLACK AGAIN.

J

Justin Meddock

Acetone

Iused acetone on mine ,It eats the crusty white stuff right off. Wipe it on with a rag or sponge BE CAREFUL it can also dissolve paint,bedding compound, and who knows what else. Make the rail look new with NO effort. Well, you do have to crawl all the way around the boat wiping. I had previously tried all sorts of other compounds waxes etc. Justin Meddock

J

Jerry

Used Penetrol

I used Penetrol on my '80 37C it at the recommendation of a yacht repair person. It went on easy and still looks good after several years in the hot sun. I was concerned that it may flake off but it has caused no problems. Jerry s/v Makai

J

John

Go to the gel coat forum

Check out the gel coat forum on this page. I got alot of ideas there.

J

John Allison

3M's Fiberglass Cleaner & Wax

Ran into the same problem, graying toe rails, with my 1979 Hunter 25. Used the Cleaner Wax (which I assume has a light rubbing compound incorporated in it) with great results. The rails were black once again: only drawback is that this is not a forever fix and the rails will dull (at least to some extent) over the winter and need some help once again the following spring. The biggest problem with this method of reblacking is to clean the excess wax out of the slots in the rail itself.

J

John Allison

3M's Fiberglass Cleaner

Ran into the same problem, graying toe rails, with my 1979 Hunter 25. Used the Cleaner Wax (which I assume has a light rubbing compound incorporated in it) with great results. The rails were black once again: only drawback is that this is not a forever fix and the rails will dull (at least to some extent) over the winter and need some help once again the following spring. The biggest problem with this method of reblacking is to clean the excess wax out of the slots in the rail itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.