Toe Rail Leak on a 9.2A

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Well, there is no doubt about it. I have a toe rail leak starboard side in the vee berth just forward of the bulk head. Has anyone ever dealt with this? I am hoping I can just unbolt it past the point of the leak a few feet, clean it up, install some fresh butyl tape and be done with it.

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
The toe rail comes in sections, I am sure that you have seen where the breaks are. I removed both port and starboard toe rails and rebedded them with 5200, I wouldn't use butyl tape for this (personal preference). You will probaby need to pull down some of the canvas liner at the top to access the bolt ends and and nuts. There will be some bolts that are hard to get at in the lav. Be sure to put some of whatever sealant you chose on the shank of the bolts. If you rebed it well it should never leak again.

I used the toe rail project as a reason to remove and replace the llight canvas hull liner because it was in bad shape. I found muslin at a local cloth store and glued it with 3M Super 77 spray glue and then painted it. The liner was the toughest part of the job.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
How did the Super 77 work out? I have a can and was planning to try to reattach my head liner.

Mar 14, 2007
S2 9.2A Seattle, WA
Th 3M Super 77 is the best spray glue that I have used. It should do a fine job of reattaching the headliner. Spray both sides, let it dry for awhile ( per the directions) and put it together.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thanks Bob. It has been on the to do list for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.