Toe Rail for Hunter 26.5

Jul 2, 2016
Hunter 26.5 Paris Landing TN
I know its not a big boat by no means but I'd like the added safety of lifeline netting for my 1988 Hunter 26.5 wing keel. However I see by the directions of the netting I bought from West Marine that it attaches to the toe rail of the vessel. Well..... my boat doesn't have a toe rail. Is it possible to add a toe rail to my Hunter 26.5? I have a 2 year old and the wife and I are always nervous if he is up on the deck and would feel better if we had netting. If its possible to install one where would I get it and do you have an idea on what costs would be? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dioysis;
For those boats that netting was put on did not last long as many complained it was in the way. This is an individual choice. What about a life jacket that has in essence a harness of sort to be able to attach to when your little one is up on the deck.

Jul 2, 2016
We have a life jacket for him now, but having him tethered to the boat is not an ideal situation for us. I'd like for him to be able to safely walk around the deck especially when we are at anchor in a cove somewhere. Plus the netting would help us ensure we didn't lose anything like cell phones, etc from fall overboard.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd look at Home Depot or Lowes in the plastic / pvc trim area for some square stock. I know I've seen square stock in like small blocks, it bends very easy, and can be drilled and attached on the edge like a boat with toe rails. My O'day 25 teak toe rails are attached with self tapping screws, I believe, and they seem to hold up fine with proper water proof sealant of your choice.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Installing a metal toe rail is super expensive!
Instead, run a static line from stanchion base to stanchion base... then anchor your netting to that.
I ran a lacing between stanchions in a similar way to keep my sail on foredeck..
You can add some eye straps to the deck for extra attachment points between stanchions, if you choose.

Jul 2, 2016
Joe, this is a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of something like that. I love this forum so I can get other opinions. Joe next time your in tennessee holler at us you can go out with us to see the finished product.