Today's nice weather got me thinking

Dec 25, 2014
Sirius 21 Havelock Ontario
What's this?

Ray

Thanks again for the 21 manual.

I noticed in a previous post ("20 years sanded...") that your pix showed a flanged hole in the transom under the ladder. What is this for?

2nd question: do you use the cabin-mounted winch?

Terry

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
I understand that you are asking Ray these questions but I would give you my thoughts. The flanged hole is the drain outlet for the cockpit. It is not a great design because the cockpit sole is slanted forward for the water to go to the drain holes and then has to travel all the way aft through the hose located in the starboard locker. As for the winch it is a halyard winch. My boat does not have one but I feel it is unnecessary. I can't tension the halyard while under sail but if I luff the sail it is easy to tension. My halyards are led aft also.

Dec 25, 2014
Sirius 21 Havelock Ontario
Thanks Shanester for the reply.

My cockpit drains through the hull at the forward end of the cockpit - straight down. Much the same setup as the sink drain with a shut-off valve. There is no evidence (patched hole inside or out on the transom) that this was not factory original. Interesting eh?

As for the halyard winch, my boat does not have one either. Was going to give the kids a hint for a birthday present... but I really don't need it. Perhaps a new electric start ob with cockpit controls...

Jul 19, 2009
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 #190 Dayton Ohio
They must have changed to the design mine has in the later boats. I wonder why? Does yours drain into the keel cable hole or is there another hole just for the cockpit drain? My friend has a 1970 Venture 21. The cockpit drain is the same hole as the keel cable but the winch is also in the cockpit. When sailing in waves it sometimes splashes water up into the cockpit. Maybe the earlier Sirius 21s did this and that is why Vandestadt changed the drain routing later. I like the idea of going straight down but maybe with a light duty check valve or rubber flapper (but easily serviceable) of some sort. This is something I may investigate doing for my boat after the other 50ish projects I want to do. The drain in my boat is slow and clogs easily with leaves and maple seeds because where the two drains get tied together the diameter is reduced. I wonder if we can move this discussion to its own thread and away from the original post.