To topping lift or not to topping lift ....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
..... that is the question ....having a conversation with a sailing friend today and was wondering .....if when you have the mainsail up do you use the topping lift to support the boom or let it hang on the sail without the topping lift ....when i disconnect the topping lift the boom drops down a bit and rubs the bimini frame....is it better to sail with the boom fastened to the topping lift ...if so should you set the boom to level with the topping lift and let it stay supported by that cable.....what are the pluses and minus of this ......obtw the sail is loose footed with a bolt rope and rigged that way ..... with half battens ....

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What weinie said. In very light wind some people use the topping lift to overcome the weight of the boom if they want a little extra twist in the sail, but in general the TL is not a sail trim control and should be slack so that you can use the sheet and vang to control twist.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I don't think the topping lift was designed for sail trim. You can always go the Boomkicker route along with a soft vang.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I like my boom kicker, it does the job and I dont have to do anything, one less thing to forget

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Tensioning your topping lift when going up wind will kill your up wind performance. Some do use it for sail shape when going down wind. Another vote here for a boom kicker and soft vang.

Jan 6, 2010
Woods,

What's up pal, we haven't threaded in posts for awhile.
You WILL hear pros & cons for this.

What I can tell you is that, I use my TL at times both under sail & mainly when at the dock.
I also have a mechanical boom that gives me an extra option for boom height control but while sitting, just not enough. When at the slip, my TL keeps my boom aft 9+/-" inches higher than at my mast. This allows any rain water to drain out from under my sail/cover/boom & this will keep my main/cover drier & less mildew etc.

When at my slip, I use this to set the boom height clear of my bimini & sail cover & snug this against the sheet lines to set a tight boom at whatever elevation & angle I want. Under sail & maybe off wind in light conditions yea, sometimes I will set this against the sheets IF & only IF the sea conditions allow it. It can take weight off the boom & give you a great pocket effect.

So, I would think it could be a matter of personal choice pal. I myself, find it to be very useful in the right circumstances. And, what if you need a spare halyard as something went awry? And if so, make sure that your mast attachment is strong enough for the task at hand pal. It may make a big difference in your day's sailing.

Just my reflections & a personal shout-out to ya pal.............

CR

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Never used under sail. Sheet, halyard, vang, Cunningham, and out haul shape my main.

Topping lift keeps the boom just above our Bimini against a tensioned main sheet to hold it in place. We have a tailored cover that goes over the boom, and ties into the front edge of the Bimini. It gives us, and the cabin roof shelter from the sun, and the rain.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE...do you use the topping lift to support the boom or let it hang on the sail without the topping lift ....when i disconnect the topping lift the boom drops down a bit and rubs the bimini frame....is it better to sail with the boom fastened to the topping lift ...if so should you set the boom to level with the topping lift and let it stay supported by that cable.....what are the pluses and minus of this ...[/QUOTE]

True, the topping lift is not (normally) used to make sail trim. You would slack it so the boom "hangs" on the sail. BUT if the boom drags on the bimini, then yes, you would have to engage the topping lift to prevent rubbing. You do what you gotta do. I have this same situation on my B323. I made my bimini, and the front bow is as low as it can be. So, don't lower the bow, raise the boom . However, if the boom is away from the centerline(and the bimini), then I can release the topping lift. I just need to be carefull when tacking.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Maybe I have had a heavy boom on every boat I've owned (20+) or I like better sail shape in light winds than the majority of respondents. Long before Boom Kickers and spring loaded kicker vangs we used the topping lift to control leach tension in the mainsail when the wind was to light to lift the weight of the boom. Even in small boats with with no topping lift a crew would hold the boom up during a light wind race. If you have a topping lift that "clears the leach of the sail" it makes a nice alternative to kickers. I've gone as far as mast cranes and longer booms in the old days to get clearance before kickers came along. Pre-loading a topping lift with a bungee can serve every bit as well as a boom kicker if the topping lift clears the leach.

Another thought, don't get rid of the topping lift just because you installed a Boom Kicker. You may want to raise the boom higher than it does and you definitely want to take the weight off the rods when sitting in the slip in the heat. Ask the fellow in the slip next to me.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Say yes to the topping lift:
Yes you can use it to raise the boom slightly to create a fuller sail when wind is light.
Yes you can use it to raise the boom way up when docked or anchored to give headroom
Yes you could use it to raise boom above bimini but you should not; lower your Bimini or recut your sail so the leech holds the boom up enough.
Yes you can rig a hoist with the boom, topping lift, and halyard or other tackle to lift something or someone back aboard.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
My topping lift did not clear the sail, so it was a constant chafing problem. I replaced it with a rigid vang which is used for sail shape only. At dock, the vang is released, and the halyard is attached to the end of the boom and snugged up, by hand only, to hold it in place.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Weinie explained the problem. I like the idea of having a topping lift as a spare halyard as well as a lift concept with or without the boom. If you have a problem with your inflatable dinghy growing sea grass and algae on it in port, just lift it out of the water with your topping lift. Chief

Jan 6, 2010
Woods,

I only add what I find works for me pal.

Did you ever see a sailboat with their main up & notice that their boom back-end is lower then at their mast?
Did you ALSO EVER notice the stretch-lines parallel to the leech running vertical, ya wanna know why?

This is because when raising their main, & having a locked-down/non adjustable TL, it's most likely taught & not adjustable. This is when your sail vertically stretches. That's a bummer & wrong. Your sail should raise softly with no boom weight pulling at her unevenly until the luff is set.

The unknowing skipper with a tight TL, raises the main, albeit it with a lowered angled boom & while raising it including boom weight, adds different stresses along the leech parallel to the length of the sail foot & over time, stretches out the main in the vertical sense. These are the stretch lines you see on these boats.

So, you only need to ask yourself, do I want longevity in my main or, I don't care how much it stretches, I can always buy a new one.

I myself, feel that an adjustable TL is the best way to go, as it gives you more options. In raising it & slackening the TL, this way My boom does not interfere with my bimini frame or stretch.

My boom is angled up higher aft. When I raise the main, there is ABSOLUTELY NO weight along the foot. I get the breadboard up to where I want it and then.............I slacken my adjustable TL & the boom goes straight-lined & perpendicular TO THE MAST. MY MAIN IS NOT STRETCHED. It goes up evenly with no loads in any foot sail areas.

That's how I do it pal.............it's basically your choice. All I know is that my 15 year old Polyant Square main material is holding up just fine man & my main looks GOOD, my boom does NOT sag lower & I have no sail stretch lines.

You can PM me & maybe we can talk via phone at length if having any install questions.

CR

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
"wow!"....... what a good bunch of responses....... thanks everyone...i have read them all several times and will do it some more...even the referenced posts.......one problem i am having is hoisting the sail to its full measurement on the luff....the specs say 34 ft and the most i seem to get is 33ft 8 inches...this is with the boom raised at the clue.....i can pull the outhaul to 12 ft (specs are 12ft 3 inches ) when loose footed ...so i am thinking that i need to go back and try hoisting again with everything totally relaxed ..and cranking down on the main halyard some more short of pulling the deck block out of it mounting...then let the boom weight down on the sail and then pulling the outhaul tight and see what happens or visa versa....with the boom level to the boat i measure 6'5" to the cockpit floor on the bottom ...the bimini frame is 6'-1" from the cockpit floor on the top of the frame ....i really don't want to give up anymore overhead clearance than that ....i am 5'10" and that is a good height for me but for some of my guests they are usually taller than me and i don't really want to issue hard hats lol.....so if i can't get the clearance i need then i will just have to have the sail cut to achieve this.....not using the topping lift under sail seems to be the correct way to go ...but don't give it up ...it does have a 3 part block on the tail and is nice for keeping it up when not under sail .......i don't have a black mast strip for a target when hosting due to the mast being anodised black so i may go up and put a white one at 34 feet in order to have that target if that is the correct dimension .....this information is all good input and has given me a lot to consider.....
thanks for the advice .....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not sure about others, but I leave the foot line slackened in the slip so as to not stretch the sail needlesly. It makes a difference that I raise the sail to max height before tightening the foot. I tell my crew to raise the main to full hoist by hand- and not stretch it with the winch- if possible. Again, looking to increase the service life of the sail. Woodster, you're only talking about 4 inches. Are yoiu sure you're measurung from the poroper point?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Not sure about others, but I leave the foot line slackened in the slip so as to not stretch the sail needlesly. It makes a difference that I raise the sail to max height before tightening the foot. I tell my crew to raise the main to full hoist by hand- and not stretch it with the winch- if possible. Again, looking to increase the service life of the sail. Woodster, you're only talking about 4 inches. Are yoiu sure you're measurung from the poroper point?
not sure but i am measuring from the shackle pin on the halyard to the top of shackel on the tack ring with everything pulled tight

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have a day sailer with end boom sheeting and no traveller (but it's got a nice, wide open cockpit for hanging out :D ) When going to windward on a traveller boat, the mainsheet would control leech tension (and thus twist) and the traveller would control angle of attack. Without a traveller, I balance the boom height between vang and topping lift, allowing the mainsheet to control angle of attack (vang sheeting.) Trying to go to windward and sheeting hard on the mainsheet to get the boom as close to centerline as possible will over tension the leech and pull twist out, making the head of the sail over trimmed and stalling and draggy. Well, depending on the wind speed. I try to play the topping lift to get all leech telltales flying, and keep the leech from hooking to windward. Once I've got it set, the TL/vang can stay set for higher angle reaching. In light wind, we we get often, the TL keeps the boom weight from pulling twist out of the main.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
woodster,
When you hoist the main, make sure the mainsheet is completely free, the vang is off, and the outhaul is not fully tensioned.

After the sail is up, slacken the topping lift and tighten up on the above to observe the shape and adjust the halyard tension to suit the conditions.