To Timeshare or not to Timeshare

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin

I am considering putting the 32' Hunter I am going to purchase into a managed timeshare pool where 7 other members can sail her for a membership fee (Sailtime). I like the idea of having someone maintain her and no cost to me and pay my slip and insurance costs plus send me a check each month for putting her in the pool. I am told that all 7 folks who would have the right to sail her must be ASA-trained and certified to a reasonably level of competency. I am particular about how my boats are treated. Anyone have any experience with putting their boat into a timesharing pool that they would share with me. Should I do it or not? Thanks!

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

I wouldn't...

The other 7 people may be ASA trained, but that doesn't mean they aren't slobs and/or will have friends ...that they give a damn about YOUR boat--after all, they're paying someone else to clean up after 'em and maintain it... Although it's your boat, you'd be giving up control over it, including the right to sail it whenever and wherever you want to--you'd have no more rights to it than the other 7. Nor would you have any recourse if the maintenance and repairs aren't to your standards--and you can bet the management company will spend as LITTLE as possible...replacing what breaks with the cheapest instead of identical...prob'ly -0- preventive maintenance, only fix what breaks. Think about the stories you've heard about the condition of boats put into charter...none of 'em are ever even close to the condition you'd have kept your boat in. I wouldn't even consider doing it if it were my boat.

B

Bob Howie

Forget it

Ok, this topic surfaces from time to time and if anyone ever really did the numbers, it doesn't work. And, you have set yourself up for failure with your comment, "I'm particular about how my boats are treated." No one -- and I mean NO ONE -- is going to look after your boat better than you. It doesn't happen. If you are in a position where you need the revenue generated during the time you're not using your boat to pay for your boat, you're in the wrong sport. The rule of thumb is that you are better off owning our own boat if you use your boat at least 400 hours a year; think about that... that's every other weekend for a year. I've seen this idea applied to boats, vehicles, airplanes...I don't know one instance where it EVER benefitted the owner. It's your choice, but I wouldn't do it and I get offers all the time on my 78h30. Good luck with your decision.

K

Kevin

Thanks!

Thanks much for each of your thoughts...looks like it is not the thing for me to do! I agree, no one will take care of her the way I will take care of her!

Status
Not open for further replies.