To Stripe, or Not To Stripe? That Is The Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
Well, she's up and out of the water for some slight refitting and maintenance. My factory vinyl stripes were starting to look a little faded and torn, so I'm taking them off.

My question to the forum: should I keep them off, or do you think Hunters look better with the hull stripes?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
You risk the possibility of differential color where the stripe covered the gel coat. Of lesser concern is stripe residue remaining after removal. A heat gun typically works well for removal...patience and don't go too fast. I have seen a late model 35.5 with all Hunter insignia removed and it reminds me of a shaved cat...not much curb appeal. In that vein a friend of mine told me that life is too short to sail an ugly boat.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
a shaved cat, that was laugh of the day for me...

my sincere vote, keep the factory stripes and add a thin line under your boat name, to balance the line above it.

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
Great timing
I also have a 326 and was wondering what she'd look like without the stripes. Now that I've seen it I'm ordering the replacements today.

It really does look like a shaved cat without them LOL, but to each their own.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
I am half way thru the process of redoing the stripes on my 28.5- and I find that without the toerail stripes, one tends to lose the length dimension of the boat. On the cabintop it becomes very bland and you don't sense the curvature and length of the forward cabin etc. especially if you don't have a teaky browline going forward above the side ports. Think of it as lipstick/makeup for boats.

McZube

Apr 5, 2012
Hunter 31 Chesapeake Bay, MD
Come on, it can't be this bad.

Anyway, I'm ditching the stripes on my much older Hunter if it's the only thing I accomplish this year. I've found that a heat gun and Gorilla Tape can remove almost any adhesive. I think some serious compounding and polishing should even out the color and sheen of the gelcoat.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
To much of a good thing

I'm all for stripes when they compliment the lines of the boat. But you can over do it. When I bought Dalliance, she had stripes in five colors, three layers deep in some places! Felt like I pulled a quarter mile of vinyl tape off that boat. I favor tasteful understatement.

Attachments

Feb 14, 2012
Hunter 326 Seattle
Well, now that the refit is done, I decided to leave the strips off. I may change my mind in the future and put them back on - but for now, I'm keep'n it clean.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.