to replace a Uniden depth finder or not?

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
My boat has a Uniden qt-206 depth finder... well, it has the unit itself but not the transducer.

I can get a transducer from ebay for $30

My question is should I just replace it completely with a newer unit (maybe something with built in GPS)

Our boat is lake based in Colorado and the depth finder will only be used when anchoring for the day/night.

The idea of the GPS (I was looking at on of the Garmin models) was that we could mark favorite spots and make it easier for a friend whom we have given access to the boat to, to find these spots easily.... That and new gadgets are cool. (but not really needed where we sail)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I wouldn't spend money on a transducer when you don't know if the display works, when a new stand alone unit with 2" dial display can be bought for under $100.
A nice GPS unit is always fun to play with. Marking anchorages, watching boat speed, keeping track of miles and hours sailing plus you can incorporate the depth sounder.
My Gamin unit can even connect with and control a blue tooth radio, CD, MP3 player in the cabin.
When I bought my O'day I put in a Huminbird depth sounder with 2" round display. I then used my iPhone and iPad with the Navionics app for a gps. Worked well and much cheaper than a GPS/Chartplotter.
I did end up buying my Garmin unit because I kept getting my iPad wet.
All depends on how you want to spend your money.