To Peter Vranum re: Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim McCarty

You reference in your article how to get to the bolts on the toe rail (..."thanks Walt"...). I have a H27 and have a hell of a time trying to reach these bolts. Can you help? Thanks in advance...

E

Ed Schenck

Ball-valves are not seacocks.

Steve mentions not knowing the difference. A seacock will have a lever handle like a ball-valve but will be mounted flush against the hull. It usually has a wide base, most are triangular, and may be bolted through. In other words the hull is sandwiched between the thru-hull and the seacock base. Ball-valves are just a valve with two female ends. One end is either screwed directly on to the thru-hull or to an elbow that is on the thru-hull. My boat has the elbows. NEITHER are recommended because thru-hulls have straight threads and ball-valves expect tapered. So neither the elbow nor the ball-valve are good matches. But that is the way Hunter built the older boats. Not sure about later models. Next year I will replace elbow/ball-valve combinations with real seacocks. Oh, and the 1979 thru-hulls were 1/2 inch. The smallest seacock is 3/4" so I will also be replacing the thru-hulls.

E

Ed Schenck

Sorry about that.

Had my taxes done last night, still in shock I guess. But Tim, if Peter has a solution I am also interested in this topic. Cannot imagine how we can get to all those nuts.

P

Peter Vranum

Toe Rail Leaks

We used a deep socket, socket wrench with extensions and flexible joints, and a box/crescent wrench, below and a very large philips screwdriver on deck. Below deck you have to be a bit of a contortionist at times. To reach the bolts in the bow, we used hose clamps to clamp the crescent wrench to a wooden pole. We were then able to hold the nuts while screwing the bolts from the deck. I hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.